Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

OBDII interface for FZJ79R`

Cruiseruser

I have searched the forum records for information and realise there has been some previous inconclusive discussion on the use of OBDii devices with non-compliant landcruisers, I have a FZJ79R South African spec 2004 Pick up with 4.5EFI motor, does anyone have any record of success getting this series of vehicles to communicate with any handheld scanner tool. I believe the same problem applies to 100 and 80 series cruisers as well.

Thanks
Donald Pitendrigh

Hi Donald,
I'm pretty sure the diagnostics are Toyota-specific, i.e. the OBDII standard does not apply and the computer/reader won't talk to Toyotas. This certainly true for the 80 series. I thought that Toyota was changing because the US market requires OBDII compliance from a certain date (now past - I think it was ca. 2005-ish) but whether Toy only changed the US vehicles or for the entire range I don't know.

You don't give your location but assuming you're in the UK, you might want to get hold of Julian Voelcker and see what he suggests - I know he was talking of getting the Toyota diagnostics tool and may have done so by now. He is a member on this site.
Sorry not to be of any real help here...

Cheers,

Andrew Prince said:
Hi Donald,
I'm pretty sure the diagnostics are Toyota-specific, i.e. the OBDII standard does not apply and the computer/reader won't talk to Toyotas. This certainly true for the 80 series. I thought that Toyota was changing because the US market requires OBDII compliance from a certain date (now past - I think it was ca. 2005-ish) but whether Toy only changed the US vehicles or for the entire range I don't know.

You don't give your location but assuming you're in the UK, you might want to get hold of Julian Voelcker and see what he suggests - I know he was talking of getting the Toyota diagnostics tool and may have done so by now. He is a member on this site.
Sorry not to be of any real help here...

Cheers,

Hi Andrew

I am pretty sure you are right about the Toyota being a non-standard in-house protocol, I am afraid they are really not big on looking after anyone other than the taxi industry in my country, which is South Africa, there are many days when I wish I was in the UK!!!

I would be interested to know about the Toyota diagnostic tool, i have not seen one and in this country Toyota wont even sell us the factory approved manuals for the vehicle.

The date for compulsory OBDII compliance with US vehicles was in fact 1994.

Thanks
Donald P

Don't worry about being South African - I am too, and there are a few of us here in the UK on this forum :cool:

You should be able to find the FSMs online - are you a member of LCCSA (SA LC club)? The guys there should be able to give you a steer on where to get the FSMs and maybe where someone with a diagnostics tool might be in SA, other than the Toyota dealers. The 79 was never offered by Toyota in the UK, so you're not likely to get much joy from here on the FSMs.

Cheers,

Back