Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Odd engine bay noises

Animal Mother

Country Flag
wales
I don't think it's a fault, but when the ignition is on (2007 D4D auto), but without engine running, there are two sets of odd noises.

One comes from what looks like a vacuum pump attached to the brake master cylinder. This runs for about 5 seconds, then goes off, and runs 3 seconds on, 5 seconds off.

Is this a vacuum pump/electric brake booster?

The second noise comes from what appears to be an electronic actuator attached to the turbocharger. This makes a ticking, electric typewriter sort of noise and doesn't stop over the course of 30s-1minute.

Are the above items correct, and should they be making these noise?

I know my 120 makes the same vacuum pump noise, il listen out in the morning for the ticking, and let you know

Ok Curiosity got the better of me, i just went outside to my 120 and yes it also makes the ticking/typewriter sound. its a very quick ticking noise. so i guess its normal. i never really turn the ignition on and listen, its normally jump in and fire it up.

Sure I've read that the second noise is the actuator on the variable turbo vanes or something vaguely similar. Mine does it aswell.

Sounds like the sound that the electric throttle body makes on the Smart, so I would be with Karlos on the actuator for the variable vanes.

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
Back