Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

OEM sub fuel tanks now available.

chapel gate

Supporter
Promoted Company
Country Flag
england
hello all,

ive decided to show my face on this forum, I have been lurking for a while.

I have owned my 96 vx for nine years. first and formost I am into landcruisers, one of my latest projects was the fabled oem sub tank install. after months of research, and emails, and phone calls and generally being a pain in the arse I managed to get hold of a genuine Toyota sub fuel tank. the project is 90% done, overhead console, all the wiring,solenoids, tank, straps. but that's another story. being a pain payed off and ive managed to get my hands on a number of tanks.

karl has been kind enough to do the donkey work for me with the first couple, cheers mate. but now ive got more coming its only fair I pull my finger out and post up!

I am offering these tanks at £300 to £350. the dearer being very good condition to mint. the cheaper ones will have a few knocks and dents, BUT non of them have any rot, most have no rust what so ever. they include the fuel pick up pipe which has the filter sock like the main tank and the sender unit. I also have a number of duel filler necks and overhead consoles with alti meter and sub tank gauge.

here is an example of an average tank. if there is some interest I will send you a picture of the actual tank you will be buying.

sub_tank_parts_002.jpg

anyone interested?

mike.

What is the set up? What exactly is included, and what ia missing for a complete set up?

And then wats the all in price (I on't seem to be able to pm you)

i would be interested can i have a price for the duel neck filler as well please?
stu

the cheapest and easiest way would be to get a tank and duel filler neck. buy a low pressure transfer pump and run the switch of your choice to the dash, make up the bits of piping yourself.

I have the one pictured above and another at the moment, a will have more shortly.

the other one just has one pipe coming off it as its from a petrol so would be ideal for a transfer pump set up.

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
how many posts do I need before I can pm?

I have one of these tanks and I can say it really is in superb condition. Better than the rest of the truck probably. They fit perfectly of course and allow you to retain your spare wheel carrier. I'd say that they carry a relatively high spanner rating of around 6/10 minimum (that's from total dummy to ace mechanic) but there are different ways you can go in relation to getting the fuel out once you have filled it. They are 60L tanks which for me is more than enough of an addition to the vehicle.

Probably the easiest way would be to have a transfer pump between the two tanks so that you simply top up from the reserve when you need to but I am going for the full twin tank, twin gauge set up very similar to Jon's in his "My grey 80" thread.

It's unfortunate that when Mr T made the UK models, he didn't include any of the loom or fixings for this set up. So it's really a scratch installation.

I hope with mine being a jap import id may have the loom there but no problem if not. Where are these coming form ie where do we collect from if needed? (Grumble grumble...I wish we made having your location in ones profile a prerequisite or registration...grumble grumble)

I agree Warren, but if you read Mike's post he says that Karl is dealing with them and Karl as we know is in Ashbourne.

Oh so Karl is point on these then but Mike is just getting the word out?

It was a little confusing as it sounded like Karl had started on Mikes behalf but then Mike decided to take the lead. I shall wait for further info then....

Last edited:
Am I right in guessing there from Australia originally?

All OZ spec 80's got the twin tanks as standard. :icon-cool:

I wAs getting involved but I asked mike to come forward himself Warren as it will make it cheaper for people and it's not worth my time at the min.

If you move fast Warren or anyone else for that matter I can bring one to Lincomb but I would have to meet up with mike before Thursday night as I won't have time after that. Failing that cartage is peanuts compared to fuel and time in collecting anything.

I am near leek, staffs.

I can pm now :icon-cool:

there are bits of the loom there that you can use, my home made sending unit loom plugs into a connector behind the tool bag storage panel, this runs to the passenger kick panel, then connects to my home made loom to the overhead console gauge.

my return and main solenoids connect to a factory main tank loom which replaces my existing main tank loom and again runs to the kick panel, which then connects to my home made loom to the factory sub tank switch.

I wanted to keep it as factory as possible, its not 100%, but all the bits that you can see are factory and work so.

I don't think they ever will be a complete kit, mainly because of the wiring. there are no captive nuts for the straps and the riv nuts are a pain to fit, I tacked mine with the welder so the wouldn't turn. it is possible as I did to make the set up look and perform like factory.

I could offer a complete or partial fitting service :)

personally I think the oem tank is perfect for what we do, its nearly three jerry cans at the touch of a button. yeah you could have the three jerry can "set up" and empty all three of them in the pissing rain and cold, and you wouldn't smell of diesel too much but I prefer to press the button..

Mike the wiring solution sounds interesting. Didn't know about the plug in the boot area. So does that run up into the front headlining then?

it runs up to the passenger kick panel, and you could tap into the two spare wires that your main tank sender plugs into to power your solenoids :icon-wink:

oh I forgot to mention the sender and the fuel pick up that are fitted to the tanks are over a £100 before postage and customs if you wanted to buy them.

So the tanks dont come with senders or pickups? Sorry i am be dumb but just wanted to clarify

sorry warren didn't mean to confuse, just sent you a pm, the tanks do include the sender and pick up.

as karl has said, I need to know asap if any one wants him to take one down this weekend. I will be at work in 30 mins, and the latest for me would be 6 pm tonight.

Back