Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Offroad tips

Archie

Country Flag
latvia
Hi guys,

Hope someone can give me some tips how and what to use/select to get up a slippery hill. I have lc5 5 gear auto. For example, yesterday i tried getting up a frozeb hill, first i did it without locking the dif, and it was fine. Once i locked the diff and put the gear in L it went hald way and then started to just spin on the spot. Could not go any further. One guy that used to have lc told me to always lock the dif then change from High to low, and also change the gear to L, but once i do that it just spins on the spot and bearly goes any wurther. Even tried 2nd start. Tried 2nd gear only ect. Nothing. It just digs holes in the ground. What am i doing wrong? What settings should i use if i want to go up a steep hill when its either muddy or ice'y? Thnx in advance p.s happy new year every one ;)

What tyres are you driving on?
Plus, if you can just go up the hill driving as normal, no need to lock anything.

Low ratio gears are aimed at slow off road rock crawling type scenarios. Rarely do you need LR on road especially in snowy/icy condition where as high a ratio as possible is desired. The correct tyres is THE most important factor in achieving traction on any surface IMO. Crap or worn tyres = going nowhere no matter how fancy your tranmission.

When Lincomb first started lots of folk were asking about off-road driving techniques so TonyS and I went on a Lantra Off Road course. The following is a precis of what we learnt on that course. It is about the feel your vehicle gives back to you... Let the vehicle do the work it's what it is designed for. It is about balancing the power in the right gear to the conditions to get necessary amount of traction to overcome the obstacle. Think it through, first. It is a skill that is acquired through practice and patience.

off road driving precis.jpg

And as GK and Towpack have said suitable tyres.

Regards,

Rodger

What tyres are you driving on?
Plus, if you can just go up the hill driving as normal, no need to lock anything.
Hi, Im using coopers, winter rubber with studs, brand new, just got them a month ago, during the summer i use AT coopers

Low ratio gears are aimed at slow off road rock crawling type scenarios. Rarely do you need LR on road especially in snowy/icy condition where as high a ratio as possible is desired. The correct tyres is THE most important factor in achieving traction on any surface IMO. Crap or worn tyres = going nowhere no matter how fancy your tranmission.
Hi, I see thanks for the tip, tires seem to be ok, their not made for offroading like bfgoodrich ect but still seems pretty good (goodrich winter with studs)

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
When Lincomb first started lots of folk were asking about off-road driving techniques so TonyS and I went on a Lantra Off Road course. The following is a precis of what we learnt on that course. It is about the feel your vehicle gives back to you... Let the vehicle do the work it's what it is designed for. It is about balancing the power in the right gear to the conditions to get necessary amount of traction to overcome the obstacle. Think it through, first. It is a skill that is acquired through practice and patience.

View attachment 111901

And as GK and Towpack have said suitable tyres.

Regards,

Rodger

Hi Roger,

thank you so much, this was very very helpful ;)

Regards,

Art

You also need to keep the revs low so the ATRAC system will kick in, I think its below 2500 rpm. ATRAC will sense a spinning wheel and apply braking to that wheel thereby transferring driving force to the other wheel on the axle.

You also need to keep the revs low so the ATRAC system will kick in, I think its below 2500 rpm. ATRAC will sense a spinning wheel and apply braking to that wheel thereby transferring driving force to the other wheel on the axle.
Thnx for that, i did notice, any idea how to turn it off, for example i wanted to do a bit of drifting round the corners and it turns on and ruins the fun =D i know some cars have a button to turn off traction control. Thnx in advance

If it was me i would lock the centre diff and keep it in high range. mostly uphill on a road you need momentum. i would like t be able to turn off traction control too. it does spoil the fun of chucking it about in the snow.

As has been said, don't use low range - too much torque at the wheels on the snow and they'll just break free.
There comes a point when you cannot beat physics and you won't go anywhere. Having said that, I found the 120 with good tyres did a superb job in snow. If there is packed ice under the snow then, well, it's tough.

i would like t be able to turn off traction control too. it does spoil the fun of chucking it about in the snow.
Either put the handbrake on slightly or put in a switch next to the handbrake to make the car think it's on. The traction control is disabled when it's on. hint: You can get a nice rear-wheel slide, release the brake and traction control steps in and sorts out your mess. :D Loads of fun

As has been said, don't use low range - too much torque at the wheels on the snow and they'll just break free.
There comes a point when you cannot beat physics and you won't go anywhere. Having said that, I found the 120 with good tyres did a superb job in snow. If there is packed ice under the snow then, well, it's tough.

Either put the handbrake on slightly or put in a switch next to the handbrake to make the car think it's on. The traction control is disabled when it's on. hint: You can get a nice rear-wheel slide, release the brake and traction control steps in and sorts out your mess. :D Loads of fun

Il try this out. if it works, then il look at putting a switch in,:thumbup::thumbup::thumbup:

If it snows enough tomorrow evening, it will be a good opportunity to try this out.

Right, ive been out in the 1" of snow we had. and clicking the handbrake up a notch doesnt turn my traction control off. it still beeps at me and kills the power trying to straighten me up. the only time traction control turns off is when centre diff lock is pressed.

Does the handbrake light come on?

I've just been doing it - get the car sideways (it beeps but still slides / allows power) and when you release it the traction control does all fancy stuff with the brakes and you snap straight again. Pretty impressive at how quickly it gets it right.

Yeah handbrake light comes on. ok maybe i need to try again. i heard the beeping and gave up. Shame the snows melting away.

Back