Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Oil brand change

l3n0x

Country Flag
hungary
Hi All!

For the past 8k km's I was using Castrol Edge 5w30 C3 in the 100 (1HD-FTE). I liked it, but perhaps there is better, especially for the summer months as winters don't really go below -10 anymore here:) I feel like it gets a bit too thin in the summer heat.
Was wondering if a 0w40 would be a better choice, especially one of these two:

- Mobil1 FS 0w40 (does have CF certificate)
- Motul X-MAX 0w40 (API SN, but doesn't have CF certificate)

I would like full synt, and 10w40 or 15w40 is not sold in my country as full-synt, that's why those aren't considered.

Cheers!

Just do what the book says for you country's temps

That's my problem. The books says 10w30, but that's not sold in my country.

A semi synth 15/40 would be my choice over a fully synth 0/40 .....
The 1HD FTE is an "old" engine and was never designed to run those modern fully synth 0/whatever oils ...
These oils are often specced for reasons other than engine longevity and more often it's about emission's and power loss ....
Most of these so called modern high tech engines will never last a 1/4 of the life a 1HD FTE has...

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
I kind of agree. The only issue is that here we have -10 in the winter and 40 in the summer. And I'm afraid that the 15w40 would do damage in the winter.
10w40 perhaps?

10/40 for winter peace of mind then change in the spring for 15/40 ....
Interestingly JCB has now started using a 0/40 in the UK not because of temperature but to combat a possible lack of oil at start up issue on the VVT turbos on tier 5 engines..... I changed the oil in an engine the other day from 15/40 to the new 0/40 oil and weirdly I defy anyone to tell the difference if I poured some of each into a jug .

Given those cold temps i'd be inclined to try and find 5W40, available here in semi and full synth and Diesel specific specs, not sure what the score would be where you live.
15w too thick for winter starts in my humble opinion, unless you have an electric engine block heater?

I have been using Ravennol full synthetic 0w40 for the past 20 000 - RAVENOL SSL SAE 0W-40 - [Leaving Land Cruiser Club] It's similar price to the 5w40 and I occasionally start and drive the car at -15 to -25C in the mountains, so why not. Occasionally there are free shipping deals from Germany to the rest of the EU.
It is CF and what is more important - ACEA A3/B4
The C3 is a mid-SAPS oil for modern engines. It's low on sulphur, but it also lubricates less. As a rule, do not use C* oils on old engines that are not designed for this.

I have also used Motul X-Cess 8100 which is another A3/B4 oil. It is mostly Group 3 mineral base, as opposed to the mostly Group IV PAO base on the Ravennol. The engine sounds noticeably smoother with the Ravennol.

Also, most supposedly "synthetic" oils more often than not have a mineral base with synthetic additives. e.g. the Motul 8100 is supposed to be synthetic, but lab analyses online show it to actually be mineral with additives.

Thank you for your detailed comments!

I could get Motul oils (Xmax 0w40 for example), but Ravennol is a bit pricey here (around 18 USD / liter) at the only place I could get it from:(
I'll try to find a german shop that ships it to Hungary maybe.

Thanks once again

Okay, so I went with Motul 8100 X-Max 0w40 at the end. It doesn't have the CF specification unfortunatelly (only SN), but has ACEA A3/B4. Every other option - available in my country - was worse, so.. If my engine explodes, it explodes.. I've been researching this topic for months, and couldn't find a 100% satisfactory answer:(
People either use 15w40 semi-synth in these cars, I know a guy who uses 10w60, then others use things like the Ravenol 0w40... Also most people use these cars so much they can justify a winter and a summer oil, but I'm only running around 5k km's a year, so I had to choose something thats good for both (or bad for both).. At least this oil has acceptable winter viscosity (still worse than an 5w30), but isn't as thin in the summer as an 5w30 is. The 5/10/15w40 oils are just too thick for winter in my opionon. (Fun fact: an 5w40 is a lot (30%) thicker than a 5w30, both at 40degC).

Im using Mobil 2000 10/40 semi synthetic all year round in the uk, egr system removed and a provent 200 catch can in the breather system. I change the oil and filter at every 5k miles and its still golden in colour but on the turn to brown.

Back