Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Oil doesn't look right?

Crabby

Country Flag
uk
Anyone used Fuchs titan unimax mc 10w40?
In 35 years of changing oil, they've always been a variation of the transparent honey colour. Just changed the oil and filter on the 80, and used the Fuchs titan. Ok, it's darker..not a problem. But it's a lot less transparent, and in a certain light, looks decidedly dirty. Almost like a handful of mud mixed in water! Not right? Cloud point? Perfectly normal for this oil? It could well be. But my gut is waving the little question mark at me and won't leave me alone!

I've used it and it certainly appears darker and more opaque than others I've used.

Could this just be oxidation? Can you compare it to some that has simply been exposed to the air for a time rather than been swirling around your engine? Or is this the new stuff from the bottle that you're describing? If the latter, maybe a word with Fuchs might yield an answer that puts your mind at rest.

Last edited:
Most diesel compatable engine oils I've used (currently Carlube RRR) have been way darker than petrol only oils I've used. The 10w40 I put in the bike is like a very light pale ale but the Carlube 10/40 stuff is more towards a stout in colour. Don't think colour means much though. Duckhams Q used to be green.

Cheers lads. More opaque than others is good to hear, but it's on it's way for testing anyway just to be sure. And yes, this is straight from the bottle...
I've had just about every superbike under the sun over the years, and as you say towpack, oil always looked like honey, and very transparent.
It wasn't the colour that made me question it. It's strange in that when looking at it held up to the light in front of you, it doesn't look too bad, just dark and a little opaque. When looked at with the daylight behind you...can't see through it. Best I can describe is as if you'd put a teaspoon of mud in and give it a good stir...

Most diesel compatable engine oils I've used (currently Carlube RRR) have been way darker than petrol only oils I've used. The 10w40 I put in the bike is like a very light pale ale but the Carlube 10/40 stuff is more towards a stout in colour. Don't think colour means much though. Duckhams Q used to be green.
Love the beer references..:icon-biggrin:

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
Back