Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Oil leak from behind timing belt cover

Brian L

Country Flag
uk
hi there, I seem to have oil leaking from behind the timing belt cover or about, anyone had this before? Getting car looked at on Friday! Any help very much appreciated

Cheers brian

Could but crank seal behind the cover
Or leak in rocker cover seal which is dribbling down

Could but crank seal behind the cover
Or leak in rocker cover seal which is dribbling down

Cheers,

would it be a big job for either of these reasons, was about to change the oil and realised how bad it was. Fingers crossed for quick fix

I think rocker cover gasket is easy, unless bolts shear...

Crank seal would need timing belt off.... and changed mostly likely for peace of mind, also it might be oil comtaiminated

yip, crank seal, get it fixed on Wednesday.

guy was telling me that if the timimg belt goes on a Lc 3.0 D4D it doesn't do any damage????

I might be wrong but im sure its an interference engine and if it snaps the valves try to punch through the pistons

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
yip, crank seal, get it fixed on Wednesday.

guy was telling me that if the timimg belt goes on a Lc 3.0 D4D it doesn't do any damage????
I was told that on my 80. WRONG! Didn't take much notice until I looked at the drive train and noticed it is gears to the pump then belt to the camshaft. Belt go snap, valves meet piston crown. Wallet empty. Eyes full of tears. Not good! Don't know about the D4D but safest to assume it's curtains if it goes until you know otherwise.

Last edited:
I was told that on my 80. WRONG! Didn't take much notice until I looked at the drivevtrain and noticed it is gears to the pump then belt to the camshaft. Belt go snap, valves meet piston crown. Wallet empty. Eyes full of tears. Not good! Don't know about the D4D but safest to assume it's curtains if it goes until you know otherwise.

Think I'll just get the timing belt changed, don't want to find out the outcome the bad way!!!!!
Had a VW Golf GTI a million years ago, those timing belts needed changing religiously at 60,000 miles. At the 60,000 mile service with 59,000 and change miles on the clock I instructed the garage to change it please. The mechanic said no need, the belt looks great. I said please change it, he said honestly, don't bother. Having argued forever it seems, he virtually refused.
Driving the car home the belt let loose. 16 new valves, 4 pistons, a head and a rental car for 2 weeks, all at his expense, he learned his lesson.

Back