Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Old Man Emu suspension v The Canning stock Route?

Cistec

Country Flag
australia
Hi Guys

I have a low km approx 75k Troopy 1 HD J78R RV carrier (2003) converted and fully laden to near max GVM carrying capacity with a little over 200kg left. I have the full Old Man Emu suspension Kit which is about 10 years old but has not been used heavy at all.

The question I would like to ask is I have been invited to go with a group of similar troopy owners to tackle the Canning Stock route with its long corrugated tough dirt roads? I have been told its pretty tough so I ask you gurus will my Old Man Emu's be suitable? I have been told they will be fine, but I would like to get any other owners who may have done the route or heard any stories about failures or recommendations about anything which will make my trip safer.
Land Cruiser club .jpg

Thank you to all that reply

cistec

This is a very nice introduction as a new member, even though it hasn't been posted in the dedicated "Introductions" section.

Welcome to the forum Cistec :thumbup:, a lovely looking truck there BTW :icon-biggrin:.

Sadly, I can't offer comment on your query, even though I have similarly aged OME suspension fitted to my 80. I'm not an overlander although I've heard of the rigors of the Canning Stock route, and some of the fatigues and failures encountered on it.

I have no complaints of OME components, and I haven't treated my truck very gently throughout the 11 years that the OME parts have successfully sustained quite regular and varying degrees of offroad use and abuse which is customary for my truck.

Maybe someone with more overlanding experience will advise in due course, and I'll be interested in their comments, too.

If it was me, I'd carry a spare front and rear shock and some shock bushings and bolts just in case. I'd also stop and check how hot the shocks are every once in a while on the corrugated tracks. I remember when Mercedes did their promo drive of the canning stock in brand new G-Wagons - they broke a lot of shocks. I've not driven the canning stock but I have driving the Gibb River Road (also very corrugated) and I came a cross a fair few people with blown shocks... For the cost of a few shocks I'd feel it was cheap insurance.

If it was me, I'd carry a spare front and rear shock and some shock bushings and bolts just in case. I'd also stop and check how hot the shocks are every once in a while on the corrugated tracks. I remember when Mercedes did their promo drive of the canning stock in brand new G-Wagons - they broke a lot of shocks. I've not driven the canning stock but I have driving the Gibb River Road (also very corrugated) and I came a cross a fair few people with blown shocks... For the cost of a few shocks I'd feel it was cheap insurance.
Good advice indeed, thanks

This is a very nice introduction as a new member, even though it hasn't been posted in the dedicated "Introductions" section.

Welcome to the forum Cistec :thumbup:, a lovely looking truck there BTW :icon-biggrin:.

Sadly, I can't offer comment on your query, even though I have similarly aged OME suspension fitted to my 80. I'm not an overlander although I've heard of the rigors of the Canning Stock route, and some of the fatigues and failures encountered on it.

I have no complaints of OME components, and I haven't treated my truck very gently throughout the 11 years that the OME parts have successfully sustained quite regular and varying degrees of offroad use and abuse which is customary for my truck.

Maybe someone with more overlanding experience will advise in due course, and I'll be interested in their comments, too.
I will post in the dedication section ...sorry!

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
Spoke to ARB today and asked about the Old Man Emu range from about 8-10 years ago (maybe when they were installed) and ARB said it looks like it is the full OME Kit from the images I sent. They warranty them for around 100,000k so if the Troopy has only approx 75-80k on the clock they should be fine or maybe take it to a tyre place to do a "BUMP" test on the shocks to make sure.

He also mentioned that maybe keep checking for oil leaks from time to time, but they should tackle the Canning Stock route no problem, but once you have done the trip maybe look to upgrade to the newer OME range because you should really change shocks every 3-5 years if going bush regularly so I was informed.

Spoke to ARB today and asked about the Old Man Emu range from about 8-10 years ago (maybe when they were installed) and ARB said it looks like it is the full OME Kit from the images I sent. They warranty them for around 100,000k so if the Troopy has only approx 75-80k on the clock they should be fine or maybe take it to a tyre place to do a "BUMP" test on the shocks to make sure.

He also mentioned that maybe keep checking for oil leaks from time to time, but they should tackle the Canning Stock route no problem, but once you have done the trip maybe look to upgrade to the newer OME range because you should really change shocks every 3-5 years if going bush regularly so I was informed.

Well, there has to be sense in that.

Anyway, I'd be inclined to buy a set of new shocks in advance and take them with you as spares. I don't think that springs are likely to let you down, but the shocks take such a hammering and get hot, so you won't know whether they will hold up under the extra effort.

Shocks are relatively easy to replace on the road so a minimum tool kit would suffice.

Well, there has to be sense in that.

Anyway, I'd be inclined to buy a set of new shocks in advance and take them with you as spares. I don't think that springs are likely to let you down, but the shocks take such a hammering and get hot, so you won't know whether they will hold up under the extra effort.

Shocks are relatively easy to replace on the road so a minimum tool kit would suffice.
Yes your right! carry a spare set ...cant hurt..only your pocket but small price to pay to save hours maybe days of hassles...yes! a spare set for sure..where's the phone!!!

I did the canning in 2011 in a group of eight vehicles all toyotas from a four wheel drive club. There was a mix of suspensions some stock some OME and some with GVM upgrades. Our trip leader insisted we all take spare shocks One vehicles carried comprenhsive tools range if your shocks are ok now you should be fine but at least one front and rear are recommended maybe also a spare leaf Spring strapped underneath the vehicle we has two mechanics the vehicle I was in had a lift and new shocks before we left we hit a large unseen hole and destroyed a shock and turned up a steel rim. The shock had done about 4000 klm only so it is not just aged of shocks. 3 other vehicles replaced shocks 2 did one each while a Prado had three replaced at Durba springs totally failure of new gas shocks replaced by original set that had done 80,000 and got her home If any vehicles have shock in strut you need a set of springs compressors

all that aside it is a great trip and with the recent wet will be magnificent

I did the canning in 2011 in a group of eight vehicles all toyotas from a four wheel drive club. There was a mix of suspensions some stock some OME and some with GVM upgrades. Our trip leader insisted we all take spare shocks One vehicles carried comprenhsive tools range if your shocks are ok now you should be fine but at least one front and rear are recommended maybe also a spare leaf Spring strapped underneath the vehicle we has two mechanics the vehicle I was in had a lift and new shocks before we left we hit a large unseen hole and destroyed a shock and turned up a steel rim. The shock had done about 4000 klm only so it is not just aged of shocks. 3 other vehicles replaced shocks 2 did one each while a Prado had three replaced at Durba springs totally failure of new gas shocks replaced by original set that had done 80,000 and got her home If any vehicles have shock in strut you need a set of springs compressors

all that aside it is a great trip and with the recent wet will be magnificent
Thank you for your advice it is very much appreciated, I will be taking shocks with me and I am not sure about leaf springs because I have extra tanks under the troopy! I will check to see if I can fit. I am near my full weight load so have to be careful. I am not a careless driver I will be taking all precautions as best as I can to prevent breakdowns but you never know so I best be prepared.

I take it You run greasable shackles?
They must be maintained.
A broken leaf spring CAN worst case be bush-mended to take You out of the predicament Yoy possibly are stuck in. You should needless to say replace it once You return to a dealer os.
Spare shocks would definately be woth to bring. From how I read it You are getting close to the last 1/5 of the expected life span of Your shocks. Upon completion of the run they are likely die for replacement....
You could consider fitting the new shocks upfront & take them old ones as spare...

Regards

I take it You run greasable shackles?
They must be maintained.
A broken leaf spring CAN worst case be bush-mended to take You out of the predicament Yoy possibly are stuck in. You should needless to say replace it once You return to a dealer os.
Spare shocks would definately be woth to bring. From how I read it You are getting close to the last 1/5 of the expected life span of Your shocks. Upon completion of the run they are likely die for replacement....
You could consider fitting the new shocks upfront & take them old ones as spare...

Regards
Hmmmm very interesting indeed! Grease shackless??? have to check I really have no idea how old these shocks are but have been told they have rarely seen heavy use or outback conditions I asked how he could tell? he replied just but the condition of the underside of the vehicle which he said was in A1 shape for 2003 troopy. He could not give a answer how long they would last but in the condition they are now for normal driving medium outback trips 3-5 years. He did stress the Canning stock route is a different beast all together and prepare for the worst.

As said; I`d fit new shocks & bring them ones ones as spare if there was a shadow of a doubt.
I assume Your spring bushes are in top notch condition too.

Maybe have a chat wi Terrain Tamer perhaps for a 2. Opinion

As said; I`d fit new shocks & bring them ones ones as spare if there was a shadow of a doubt.
I assume Your spring bushes are in top notch condition too.

Maybe have a chat wi Terrain Tamer perhaps for a 2. Opinion
Will be making an appointment to get a second opinion for sure now that I have doubts.

I looked at my OME Shocks yesterday. On mine, they are marked with a made by date if thats anything to go by :)

Edit,Typo

Last edited:
Back