Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

On this day in history

Very important day :thumbup: :lol:

1946 'Muffin the Mule', a wooden puppet operated by Annette Mills (sister of actor Sir John Mills) first appeared in a children's television programme on BBC TV.

Remember the programme well

Still think it's illegal though :lol::lol:

1822 The first edition of the Sunday Times newspaper.

I certainly remember Evel Knievel, I was at Wembley and saw him jump, and crash, can't remember what year that was though.

Evel was my hero as a very young kid , i was born 1972 .

It was second hand when i got it and the winder didn't work but this was the best toy i had
upload_2017-10-21_1-10-4.jpeg

Very important day :thumbup: :lol:

1946 'Muffin the Mule', a wooden puppet operated by Annette Mills (sister of actor Sir John Mills) first appeared in a children's television programme on BBC TV.

Remember the programme well

Still think it's illegal though :lol::lol:

For some strange reason, I used to love that programme as a kid...

3A271EBD-4E78-4F1D-93A6-903012530BF3.jpeg

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
Trafalgar Day is the celebration of the victory won by the Royal Navy, commanded by Vice-Admiral Horatio Nelson, over the combined French and Spanish fleets at the Battle of Trafalgar on 21 October 1805.

1966 Aberfan disaster.

I was 13 when this happened, and of course I was upset by it, but as a kid you don’t appreciate things properly.

So by chance, a couple of years ago now, I researched what happened.

The main horror, the needless death of 116 children, and the horrific way they perished, is one thing, but the cause and the benevolent behavior of those responsible sickened me to the stomach.

I also read the testaments of the bereaved. It brought me to tears.

They still live with that event. Bless them.

Yes, I remember it well, a terrible day which should never have happened. There had been warnings by a local councillor and a letter sent by a water engineer to the NCB two years before it happened that were ignored.

Yes, I remember it well, a terrible day which should never have happened. There had been warnings by a local councillor and a letter sent by a water engineer to the NCB two years before it happened that were ignored.

Everyone in the mining industry knows the behavior of tip material very well indeed. They knew of those existing watercourses and that they needed to spend money diverting or accommodating them, but they didn’t. Blatant incompetence and criminal negligence. I was appalled.

And how many were charged or prosecuted?

Last edited:
And how many were charged or prosecuted?

From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

"An official inquiry was chaired by Lord Justice Edmund Davies. The report placed the blame squarely on the NCB. The organisation's chairman, Lord Robens, was criticised for making misleading statements and for not providing clarity as to the NCB's knowledge of the presence of water springs on the hillside. Neither the NCB nor any of its employees were prosecuted and the organisation was not fined"

Disgusting!

Oct 21 1520 Ferdinand Magellan discovers a strait now known as Strait of Magellan.

Oct 21 1879 Thomas Edison invents a workable electric light bulb at his laboratory in Menlo Park NJ, which was tested the next day and lasted 13.5 hours

Found out where the "slippery slope" started, it's them Londoners fault, for selling cars to us poor unsuspecting people, knowing we would "improve and modify" the motors :lol::lol:

World's first car dealer opens in London

On this day in 1897

2001 Towns and villages in Cambridgeshire and Essex were on flood alert as forecasters predicted more torrential downpours following what experts said were the worst floods in 20 years

The first parachutist

1797 !!!!!! they didn't even have Planes then, and 3200 ft above Paris :icon-eek:
Da Vinci again, wasn't he the one who first dreamt up the Helicopter idea?

The first parachute jump of note is made by André-Jacques Garnerin from a hydrogen balloon 3,200 feet above Paris.

Leonardo da Vinci conceived the idea of the parachute in his writings, and the Frenchman Louis-Sebastien Lenormand fashioned a kind of parachute out of two umbrellas and jumped from a tree in 1783, but André-Jacques Garnerin was the first to design and test parachutes capable of slowing a man’s fall from a high altitude.

Garnerin first conceived of the possibility of using air resistance to slow an individual’s fall from a high altitude while a prisoner during the French Revolution. Although he never employed a parachute to escape from the high ramparts of the Hungarian prison where he spent three years, Garnerin never lost interest in the concept of the parachute. In 1797, he completed his first parachute, a canopy 23 feet in diameter and attached to a basket with suspension lines.

On October 22, 1797, Garnerin attached the parachute to a hydrogen balloon and ascended to an altitude of 3,200 feet. He then clambered into the basket and severed the parachute from the balloon. As he failed to include an air vent at the top of the prototype, Garnerin oscillated wildly in his descent, but he landed shaken but unhurt half a mile from the balloon’s takeoff site. In 1799, Garnerin’s wife, Jeanne-Genevieve, became the first female parachutist. In 1802, Garnerin made a spectacular jump from 8,000 feet during an exhibition in England. He died in a balloon accident in 1823 while preparing to test a new parachute.

1941 Zhukov takes command of the Red Army and eventually turns the tide against Operation Barbarossa, the Axis invasion of Russia.

Didn't know Bluetac had been around that long :icon-biggrin:

Oct 23 1958
The Smurfs, a fictional race of blue dwarves, later popularized in a Hanna-Barbera animated cartoon series, appear for the first time in the story La flute à six schtroumpfs.

Oct 23 1091
Tornado hits (London) in the centre in 1091 killing 2 and demolishing a wooden bridge

Back