Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

On this day in history

On this day, 27 August 1963, a mass meeting of 500 bus workers in Bristol, England voted to end their "colour bar" on the hiring of Black and Asian workers following a four-month boycott. A group of Caribbean migrant workers initiated the boycott in April against the bar, enforced by the TGWU union and the state-owned Bristol Omnibus Company. The movement was a key factor behind the introduction of the Race Relations Act two years later which outlawed racial discrimination in public places.

On this day in 1994 Thousands of shops throughout England and Wales open legally on a Sunday for the first time.

Sunday opening is,slowly creeping in in Spain.From a few weekends around holidays it's becoming more frequent.

On this day in 1993: Two 10-year-old boys are charged with the abduction and murder of two-year-old James Bulger in Liverpool

I was 21 sat in a pub when news broke of Jamie Bulger and i said to the landlord that its a crime of society because it should never occur to a 10 year old to commit murder . What had they been watching on tv to provoke such an idea ?

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
Another less awful anniversary.

Fruppeny.jpg
Fruppeny.jpg
Fruppeny.jpg

Last edited:
On this day in 1945 Japanese officials sign the act of unconditional surrender, finally bringing the Second World War to an end.

On this day in 1939 Britain declares war on Germany.

50 years ago today Jochen Rindt lost his life in practice for the Italian Grand Prix at Monza and became the only driver to posthumously win a world championship after his closest rival, Jacky Ickx, was unable to catch the points lead Rindt had built up in the previous 10 rounds.

50 years ago today Jochen Rindt lost his life in practice for the Italian Grand Prix at Monza and became the only driver to posthumously win a world championship after his closest rival, Jacky Ickx, was unable to catch the points lead Rindt had built up in the previous 10 rounds.
That's unbelievable that it was 50 years ago, I remember that well.

Probably the greatest sportsman this country has ever produced would have been 70 today ....
They say only the good die young .....well happy birthday Barry Sheene ....legend on and off a bike.....local hero and with the help of Stavros producer of many of the finest practical jokes.....

On this day in 1904 The Royal Ballet's founder choreographer Sir Frederick Ashton was born.

On this day in 1975, 10 members of 131 Commando Squadron Royal Engineers drowned when the assault boat they were in was swept over Cromwell Weir on the river Trent near Newark while on a night exercise. This was to become the regiments largest loss of life in peacetime history. Only 1 of the 11 man group survived. The Trent was in full flood after heavy rain and a power outage meant the weir and adjacent lock were unlit.

I remember this so clearly, it was a Sunday morning and My Dad, two of his mates and myself were in the car heading for Forty Foot drain in the Fens. We heard it on the 7am news on the BBC World Service. We were supposed to be going to a venue just upstream of Cromwell Weir but decided against it with the river in flood. Hard to believe it's 45 years ago. I'm sure anyone who knows Cromwell Weir will agree, when the Trent is high it's a fearsome sight.

RIP

On this day in 1978 Police begin using radar speed guns to catch speeding drivers

On this day, 4 October 1936, Oswald Mosley's British Union of Fascists planned to march through a predominantly Jewish section of East London, instead the Battle of Cable Street occured. The fascists were met by over 100,000 local residents and workers who – insistent that 'They shall not pass!' – fought both the blackshirts and the police protecting them, forcing the march to be abandoned. This ,along with the war in Spain was a warning about the coming danger of fascism that was mostly ignored & nearly cost us our freedom . The result was millions of deaths & massive destruction .

Probably the greatest sportsman this country has ever produced would have been 70 today ....
They say only the good die young .....well happy birthday Barry Sheene ....legend on and off a bike.....local hero and with the help of Stavros producer of many of the finest practical jokes.....

There were many racing legends before Bazza came along but he sold motorcycle racing to the public like no other and gave it the limelight it deserved. James Hunt was cast vary much in the same mold on the F1 scene. Both fiercely competative on the track but they new how to party and both liked a fag, a bird and a pint!

There were many racing legends before Bazza came along but he sold motorcycle racing to the public like no other and gave it the limelight it deserved. James Hunt was cast vary much in the same mold on the F1 scene. Both fiercely competative on the track but they new how to party and both liked a fag, a bird and a pint!
Lucky enough to have met Stirling Moss and John Surtees .... John lived for many years not far from home ....
Agree with you that many were more successful in terms of race wins and championships than either Barry or James but none come close to them in so many other ways .
My wife worked for British Caledonian and her best friend went out with Barry for a while...... I strongly suspect that there are many untold stories mainly because no one would believe them ;-) .
Our camper van was built by a talented bloke in Cornwall who was selling it to fund the restoration and rebuild of an ex James Hunt F1 paddock motorhome with a 455 V8 engine..... now if that vehicle could talk.........

On this day in 2001 US launches air strikes against the Taliban in Afghanistan, the first retaliatory response to the 9/11 attacks.

Back