Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

one for the SA lot

stumog

Country Flag
england
i have just come back from SA and was driving a 94 80 4.5 24v man with selectable 4wd and drums on the back. a few questions for you guys.
most of the 80's i looked at seemed to have drums on the back do you get discs over there ?
most seemed to be selectable 4wd.
we are thinking of moving over in a couple of years maybe less now i want a 4x4 man lockers and a diesel. do you think its better to buy over here and ship down or
get when i am down there they do seem to be a bit cheaper down there with alot more extras so less to spend on building what you want but i would have thought a harder life
with more being used off road.
if i take one down am i going to have problems with getting the correct parts for the vehicle over there?

All SA-spec 80s are the GX. So locking hubs, drum brakes, cloth trim, no diff locks on the axles.

A diesel is worse - it is a non-turbo and tends to break when an after-market turbo is fitted.

Best to get a good VX / Amazon here and take it over.

You sometimes find a 4500efi petrol GXL which I had but those are all imported from Oz

HTH

Gary

Cant really help regarding spec on the vehicles, but I would advise taking a UK spec truck, remember you have to own it for a couple of years in the UK before you can import it into SA,
as far as sourcing parts I don't think you will have any problems. Remember it's a Toyota and is sold in many markets,
from personal experience all you should really need to identify the part with Toyota will be the chassis number.
And it's a Toyota, how often do they go wrong?

Back