Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

One for wood experts

Shayne

Guru
B9A34D68-9100-4846-848C-5C06AA227A18.jpeg
I had my table and 6 chairs acid dip striped because maybe 8 years after I first stripped and stained it she decided it was too dark which was originally caused by ronseal discontinuing the product I hoped to use .

I’ve since found Fiddes wax which is good stuff but it’s not going to work because while it may not show in the pic the dipped wood has returned a sort of dirty green colour , I’m guessing it’s some sort of preservative used by the original maker that was not effected by acid ?

I will have to stain to dark again unless I can find some way to wash out the preservative , if indeed that’s what it is .

Any suggestions will be greatly received

Telephone poles used to be preserved with an arsenic based compound which gave the wood a dull green colour but I’d be very surprised if the stuff would have been used on furniture. Maybe the green colouring is a residue from the acid dipping and nothing to do with anything in the wood itself? I’d be inclined to scrub the chair down with some hot soapy water, maybe try a small section first, then rinse and let it dry naturally and see how it turns out. Whatever, it’s a nice looking chair.

I believe 'Oxalic Acid' is used to bleach wood (but I'm no expert).

It might be worth a Google search.

Bob.

You could try some oooo grade wire wool soaked in paintbrush cleaner, not sure of maker but it's usually a blue colour. Polycleanse seems to ring a bell.

Cant help with what to do but that's a wicked chair shayne

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
Aye the table matches with big chunky turned legs and similar decoration , it was a chance find bargain and in a sorry state when i found it on gumtree long ago and not easily replaced .

The stripping was followed by a jet wash its been stored for a month to dry so i don't fear getting it wet but of course that means water alone won't do it .

Bleach was my first thought but for sure it will weaken the joints and if i end up with a tie dye effect its all ruined .
This stuff looks like it might be worth a try https://www.paintpanda.co.uk/products/owatrol-deck-cleaner-brightener?variant=30193431117872 i was just hoping someone might come forth with a tried and tested method .

For Towpack - Chromated copper arsenate and BobMurphy

Novel approaches to remediate chromated-copper-arsenate (CCA)-treated waste wood are needed to divert this material from landfills. In this study, CCA-treated wood wafers were treated with a two-step remediation process to remove copper, chromium and arsenic. Process conditions, involving an acid extraction and bacterial culture with a metal-tolerant bacterium, were optimized. It was determined that 18 h of exposure to 1.0% oxalic acid was an optimal exposure time for the size of wood used in this study. Oxalic acid concentration was then varied to determine optimal concentration for metal removal. Increasing concentrations of oxalic acid removed increasing quantities of copper, chromium and arsenic. Acid extraction at 0.80% and bacterium exposure resulted in a total reduction of 78% copper, 97% chromium and 93% arsenic. An 0.8% of oxalic acid followed by bacterial culture with Bacillus licheniformis CC01 afforded the best conditions for maximum removal of copper, chromium, and arsenic from treated wood with minimal exposure of the wood fiber to acid conditions.

The company’s sports and social club used to have a huge Nov 5th bonfire party at their sports ground with all the old recovered poles and any arsenic cured poles were rejected and had to be correctly disposed of as some form of arsenic gas is liberated if they’re burned.

Ouch maybe i should go all modern and start eating of plates :wtf:

When I had the cottage in west Wales, I had every piece of wood in the place, window frames, doors, skirtings, floor boards and the like, dip stripped or sand stripped.

With the addition of new replacement wood, I ended up with all colours, even though it was all pine wood.

I ended up sanding everything, and gave it all a coat of the dip liquid, which the dip-stripper guy was pleased enough to give me a couple of gallons of.

When it dried, I sanded it all again and coated everything in 3 coats of clear shellac. That was followed by fine sanding and a liberal dose of bees wax.

It all came the same honey-pine colour, and looked fantastic.

Before you go the ‘dark’ route, I’d try anything TBH, that’s a mighty fine chair, and if it’s a set with a matching table, it will look wonderful as wood, and not a piece of sadolin-fake wood.

JMO

View attachment 161328 I had my table and 6 chairs acid dip striped because maybe 8 years after I first stripped and stained it she decided it was too dark which was originally caused by ronseal discontinuing the product I hoped to use .

I’ve since found Fiddes wax which is good stuff but it’s not going to work because while it may not show in the pic the dipped wood has returned a sort of dirty green colour , I’m guessing it’s some sort of preservative used by the original maker that was not effected by acid ?

I will have to stain to dark again unless I can find some way to wash out the preservative , if indeed that’s what it is .

Any suggestions will be greatly received
Lucky you didn't post this before Nov 5th, then all the comics would have come out of the woodwork (excuse the pun) with suggestions as to what to do with a wooden chair :smiley:

Back