Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Ooh I do like a nice big pair .....

Chris

Super Moderator
Supporter
Garage
Country Flag
great_britain
...of matching wheel carrier spindle bearings.

I've made a fair few of these in the past for myself and other members, but this time around I got a request for two to make a double rear carrier whatsit. It's rare that I make a pair of anything and typically and Mr Bash and Mr Bodge often accompany me in the workshop but this time I wanted to be ultra precise. Quite surprised myself actually. All the parts on these two spindles are interchangeable which is pleasing. Taper roller bearings top and bottom with twin lipped seals and top dust cap. I put grease nipples in this time as well for ease of maintenance and longevity.
Screenshot 2020-05-14 at 17.02.30.jpg
Screenshot 2020-05-14 at 17.20.09.jpg
Screenshot 2020-05-14 at 17.20.51.jpg

I decided to use the 4 jaw chuck this time and was able to dial in some pretty precise settings indeed.

I also tried some new spindle speeds and feed rates which really worked out well.

Well it keeps me out of the beer fridge.

Last edited:

I've made a fair few of these in the past for myself and other members, but this time around I got a request for two to make a double rear carrier whatsit. It's rare that I make a pair of anything and typically and Mr Bash and Mr Bodge often accompany me in the workshop but this time I wanted to be ultra precise. Quite surprised myself actually. All the parts on these two spindles are interchangeable which is pleasing. Taper roller bearings top and bottom with twin lipped seals and top dust cap. I put grease nipples in this time as well for ease of maintenance and longevity.
View attachment 165804View attachment 165805View attachment 165806
I decided to use the 4 jaw chuck this time and was ale to dial in some pretty precise settings indeed.

I also tried some new spindle speeds and feed rates which really worked out well.

I love the smell of lathe in the morning....what's the keypad thingy , just a digital readout ?

Yes it's a DRO but has some nifty things built in so you can do PCDs, arc shaped slots, hole spacings from memory settings and handy features like finding halfway. If you put in an object, touch the tool to the edge N &S press half, then touch E & W and touch half it will find the centre for you.

View attachment 165804View attachment 165805View attachment 165806
I decided to use the 4 jaw chuck this time and was ale to dial in some pretty precise settings indeed.

I love the smell of lathe in the morning....what's the keypad thingy , just a digital readout ?
Yes it's a DRO but has some nifty things built in so you can do PCDs, arc shaped slots, hole spacings from memory settings and handy features like finding halfway. If you put in an object, touch the tool to the edge N &S press half, then touch E & W and touch half it will find the centre for you.

yeah i remember them being retrofitted to lots of old kit in the mid 80s basic XYZ axis versions but a great boon all the same.A big leap forward - from the 19th century to the 20th.

Back