Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Oscillating Multi Tools

TonyP

Supporter
Country Flag
uk
I am after one of these and have no clue as to which one I should buy. Not going to be used loads as it's only for home use, but the range is surprising, from cheepo Erbauer ones at £70 to Makita, Dewalt and Bosch ones going for £100's.

Not looking for battery powered versions, and this DeWalt seems like a reasonable compromise: https://www.tooled-up.com/dewalt-dwe315kt-oscillating-multi-tool-38-accessories/prod/268211

Any thoughts on this one or in general?

Cheers, Tony

i have milwaukee 18v. most of my tools are milwaukee so had to go with that and i must say great tool.

I have a bosch 18v multi tool and use it with success all the time.

My dad has the ryobi version and this has also been used a fair bit and no problems.

I have a Worx ‘Sonicrafter’ from Wickes. Every bit as good as a professional tool and I’m finding uses for it more and more. I think it was around the £50 mark. I normally go for De Walt stuff but as this was going to be low use I got the Worx one.

Thanks, I guess my core question was would a cheepo version do, and sounds like it especially just for infrequent use.

I've got a Makita one which is brilliant. It came with a whole bunch of adapters/ tools/ sanding pads and carry case. An excellent bit of kit

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
we refurbished a old heritage railways signal box a few years ago. these were new to us at the time and we bought a couple of cheapos. we did nothing but cut out and splice for weeks.
they did the job and more before self destructing. youll be fine with the likes of bosh and erbau etc.
since then these have become one of them tools you wondered how you managed without them. between us we have a Makita corded, a dewalt cordless, a Milwaukee cordless and Makita cordless. imo the dewalt is by far the better tool.

Last edited:
Isn't Fein the original, like "Toyota" if it was a car?
But then, not everyone needs a t0yota; some manage with a Volvo or Mondeo or something in that class.

Isn't Fein the original, like "Toyota" if it was a car?
But then, not everyone needs a t0yota; some manage with a Volvo or Mondeo or something in that class.
wasn't it benz?

I had a fein multimaster. It was very useful, especially for things like cutting boards or pipes flush to a wall or tight detail sanding.
However It failed after less than 12 months not particulaly arduous service and couldn’t be economically repaired.
It’s probably the most expensive on the market.
Unimpressed is an understatement.

Thanks, I guess my core question was would a cheepo version do, and sounds like it especially just for infrequent use.

Hi Tony.

Short answer is yes. I use Erbauer tools professionally and quite like them. I've used the multi tool for about four years and am on my second. The first was replaced FOC by Screwfix when it died after 6 months. The second is still going strong.

What I would say about battery powered tools in particular is once you go with one brand you tend to end up sticking with them as it is a pain to have too many different types of battery and charger. Brand loyalty makes charging and battery swapping much easier.

Good luck

Hi Tony.

Short answer is yes. I use Erbauer tools professionally and quite like them. I've used the multi tool for about four years and am on my second. The first was replaced FOC by Screwfix when it died after 6 months. The second is still going strong.

What I would say about battery powered tools in particular is once you go with one brand you tend to end up sticking with them as it is a pain to have too many different types of battery and charger. Brand loyalty makes charging and battery swapping much easier.

Good luck
And cheaper! Buying bare tools is way cheaper. Once you have a couple of batteries you’re away.

I'll probably go with the DeWalt I linked to as it's not a lot more than the Erbauer, and it comes with some additional bits.

The problem I have with battery powered tools, is that due to infrequent use, when I need them I need to charge the batteries and sadly batteries die a early death due to the lack of use. I do have Bosch and Black & Decker battery powered tools, so don't want to add yet another brand to the pile. I should really have standardised years ago....

New batteries are lithium and don’t die so readily. I agree though thatca corded one is probably best for your application.

I'll probably go with the DeWalt I linked to as it's not a lot more than the Erbauer, and it comes with some additional bits.

The problem I have with battery powered tools, is that due to infrequent use, when I need them I need to charge the batteries and sadly batteries die a early death due to the lack of use. I do have Bosch and Black & Decker battery powered tools, so don't want to add yet another brand to the pile. I should really have standardised years ago....
They don’t like cold either so avoid keeping them in the truck overnight

They don’t like cold either so avoid keeping them in the truck overnight
Ha, they live in the shed, which is probably why they are not as good as they used to be

Ha, they live in the shed, which is probably why they are not as good as they used to be
I used to keep mine in the van and the batteries went down ridiculously quick so I had to start bringing them in every evening.

I bought the cordless version of the Dewalt after, like you, deliberating over the cheaper ones for the amount of use it gets. But no regrets it is excellent and with twin batteries never need to stop as can keep swapping batteries over.

Back