Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Outside front tyre wear

foobar

Country Flag
uk
Evening all,

Just got my car back from a service and MoT (passed, yay, not that it shouldn't have), but my front tyres do seem to wear on the outside a lot.

I think this is one of those "they all do that, sir" things, since a gent up the road has one and we had a chat a few months ago and his does the same. I've seen a recent post on the FB group where someone else (I forget their name, if you're here, hello) mentioned it happening to his 100 too.

Is this pretty common then? Is there a fix? I'm going to need new tyres soon because of it (the rears are absolutely fine) and I'd like to put some K02s on, but I'd like to get this resolved before I do, if I can.

Thanks.

After checking wheel bearings, tie rod ends, ball joints and all bushes on the A-arms, you have to adjust the toe-in, or rather a bit of toe-out. You can do it yourself using the FSM.

Thank you for that. Everything on the bearing, joint and bush side is good, so I think it's the toe-in, or out, that needs adjusting. I'm no mechanic unfortunately, I called it camber today. It's going back to the garage in a couple of weeks for a few little bits, and one big bit (the A/C compressor, ouch), so it's time I sorted this out.

Our 80 series scrubs the front tyres something rotten. Its on +2" lift, but everything lines up to factory settings. I've just resigned myself to rotating the tyres every 5000 miles or so.

The fronts have worn more on the NS than the OS, I put that down to roundabouts. I don't drive quickly, I take it easy. I've only done about 12k on them and they're almost down to the legal limit on the edges.

I should have rotated them but I haven't, my fault. I've gone from 15k miles a year in the first year to 3k a year for the past two because I changed job and no longer drive to work. The rears are perfect. I'll get the toe looked at - I can certainly see a negative stance when I look at it head-on.

It's not like I need an excuse for K02s, but having one is nice. If I can get this solved, then happy days :)

If it’s a 100 there are two different alignment measurements used. One for vehicles with AHC and one with out. Which is you vehicle?

I recently used kwikfit to realign after my son had a small bump with a mountain in France.

I had to explain the difference, then show them how to adjust the caster. The equipment said that they could only adjust camber and toe.

Last edited:
Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
When was it last aligned?

Before I had the alignment put on new boots all around so wasn’t going to settle for half a job on alignment.

To get the alignment right, the top wishbone is now on the extreme adjustment which has highlighted that I need to change all the bushes in top and bottom wishbones.

No idea, not in my ownership. I'll get the garage to adjust it when it goes back in for the other bits. I can't be doing with the wear at this rate.

I have done 5000 miles on the new tyres and wear is even across the tread.

IMO first try alignment as only about £60. But make sure the machine settings are for a AHC and show them the top wishbone joints as you can clearly see that they are adjustable.

Back