Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Over charging.

Well yes in principle... except that to date I've had three alternators and the pumps and splines are all different, hence why I got the seller of this alternator to sell me the pump as well.

@Ben Stratford It may be worth contacting the guys in Holland as they do a lot of 60s.

Regards,

Rodger
Thats a good shout roger. I didnt know the vac pumps had different splines aswell!!

What a find on ebay ... arrived today
A 40 amp internal vr alternator that fits the 60.

F4891B75-8AB4-4C7E-B169-51F97BFA9AF0.jpeg

At last i have a spare!
I can now sell my new spare external vr alternator which was a reserve plan

Nice one, did you get the smaller vac pump with it?

I think Rodger got some pleasure watching the old 3 wire external regulator being chopped out of the circuit, I assume others that follow this mod who have the later 6 wire regulator will get even more.

EDIT, see the oil feed hole on the right, very unusual.
Regards

Dave

Yes very
Nice one, did you get the smaller vac pump with it?

I think Rodger got some pleasure watching the old 3 wire external regulator being chopped out of the circuit, I assume others that follow this mod who have the later 6 wire regulator will get even more.

EDIT, see the oil feed hole on the right, very unusual.
Regards

Dave
quirky all round. I think my current vac pump fits, will check to confirm of course they plan the swap Dave.
Another stressful job!

That is a great find, Ben.

I think part of the different splines maybe because we have been mating 60 series alternators to 40 series pumps but this was all 60 series. Looking at the pump bolt pattern for the latest old pump and the current smaller pump, it should marry up for you, although I haven't compared the splines. My oil-in pipe reached the hole mentioned above by Dave without problem and the exit is in the same location.

As Dave says, it was an uplifting experience to see the old troublesome VR being eliminated from the system and even more so to see both the ammeter and the voltmeter behaving correctly - all the time!

Regards,

Rodger

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
Yes very

quirky all round. I think my current vac pump fits, will check to confirm of course they plan the swap Dave.
Another stressful job!

As @Rodger mentioned the oil feed reached the alternator, if your current pump fits that's great however, I would be wary of a couple of points.

1st, Does your original pump bearing rely on support from the alternator housing to prevent it being displaced by engine oil pressure within the pump casing?

2nd, Given the oil pressure will be passing from the new alternator to your original pump does the sealing ring mate correctly to both surfaces?

Barring experience gathered whilst working on Rodgers 40 this is pretty new stuff to me, I may simply be being over cautious, I would hate to see you do damage.

Regards

Dave

As @Rodger mentioned the oil feed reached the alternator, if your current pump fits that's great however, I would be wary of a couple of points.

1st, Does your original pump bearing rely on support from the alternator housing to prevent it being displaced by engine oil pressure within the pump casing?

2nd, Given the oil pressure will be passing from the new alternator to your original pump does the sealing ring mate correctly to both surfaces?

Barring experience gathered whilst working on Rodgers 40 this is pretty new stuff to me, I may simply be being over cautious, I would hate to see you do damage.

Regards

Dave
Thanks for raising these points Dave, much appreciated, will check everything thoroughly when i tackle the job

Regards

Dave
I don’t think you’re being over cautious at all. One leak with this and you could dump all the engine oil and only see it when the pressure drops.

All the pumps I've had/used bolt to the alternator and I am reasonably sure that the O rings are all the same size. Splines have always been the problem - 40-60; early 60 to late 60 and so on.
I have a couple of pumps spare so if @Ben Stratford you have a problem then let me know and maybe one of them will match (however I am away for 2 weeks from Monday).
We were out last night so coming home - lights on, heater on, etc and the gauges were steady, plus the lights were much brighter!
Such a difference not having to switch things on or off to keep the voltmeter steady.

Regards,

Rodger

It’s just nice when you know things are right. :)

What a find on ebay ... arrived today
A 40 amp internal vr alternator that fits the 60.

View attachment 153708
At last i have a spare!
I can now sell my new spare external vr alternator which was a reserve plan
now I'm jealous!! Was looking for one for ages, had to settle for a second hand unit that I will need to send for reconditioning

All the pumps I've had/used bolt to the alternator and I am reasonably sure that the O rings are all the same size. Splines have always been the problem - 40-60; early 60 to late 60 and so on.
I have a couple of pumps spare so if @Ben Stratford you have a problem then let me know and maybe one of them will match (however I am away for 2 weeks from Monday).
We were out last night so coming home - lights on, heater on, etc and the gauges were steady, plus the lights were much brighter!
Such a difference not having to switch things on or off to keep the voltmeter steady.

Regards,

Rodger
Thats very kind of you @Roger i will PM if needed. Probably wont look at it for a few months though. Thanks ben

Back