Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Overheating

Air bubbles are or can be a sign of head or head gasket issues, so the two are linked.

If its the gasket then its going to be cheaper to fix than a cracked head (you'd need a new gasket set to do the head anyway.)

On a positive note, you can check the head whilst its off, reassuring to know that the head is sound after the gasket is done.

Pete

i am curious since we have not found a single issue of head gasket failure in Canada, it has always been a cracked head.

how many gaskets are the culprit in the UK? i suspect it might be the speeds and the distances in Canada that is the biggest threat to the small Toyota diesels...

Hi Wayne

Nice to see you posting over here.

I have put some thought into this, and I reckon there is an underlying reason for the 2.4's problems. The 78 in particular got me thinking about this. Essentially the 78 was designed for the Japanese home market, off-roading isnt lawful, small engines are the norm and distances aren't great, plus vehicles have a short legal life expectancy due to stringent tests.

Add all of this together and there is no real pressure on toyota to come up with a long lasting engine for the domestic market.

Compare this with its export models - beefy 4.0 and 4.2 litre jobs, designed for serious use.

Its one of the reasons Prado's rarely have rear lockers, this shows in the JDM 80's as well - more image than ability (no offence meant!).

Now, 15 - 18 years on, those trucks designed for the Jap market are being asked to do something I dont think they were really designed for - especially some of the long haul stuff.

Its really a testimony to their build quality that they've lasted this long at all!

I will google water wetter, so if its available over here.

Regards

Pete

Ok, found it. RedlineProducts.

And you've found this has a positive impact?

Have you used it in a truck that has a head temp gauge fitted? Interested to know what temp reduction has been.

Worth a thread of its own!

Pete

Hi Karl

Who's doing the work for you.

I know of a guy in Totnes who is highly recomended for top end work.

Pete

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
wobbly said:
Hi Karl

Who's doing the work for you.

I know of a guy in Totnes who is highly recomended for top end work.

Pete

Combat Auto's on the brunel estate (newton abbot) is doing the work ...

Crusher

On your list....no mention of a supplementary gearbox oil cooler ? Have you tried one.

I considered it as its a simple low cost job - theory made sense, cool the oil before it goes into the rad, so the rad has to transfer heat to the oil line on its way through. It was an american product, think it was fluorodyne, or sensodyne !

Karl

I dont know them, but they dont sound like the guys to mess with..... :D

Is that near the big railway signal signs?

Pete

we did that on the HJ61 and the HDJ81 autos to prevent the tranny from burning up.
i did not try it on the 2LTE vehicles, every little bit will help.

had a phone call a little while ago this af'noon, .... only to be told the head is in fact cracked right across the combustion chamber between the two rear cylinders

it also seems the engine has been re-built in the past badly ....... with the wrong head gasket and head bolts being used to do the work on the cheap (three of the head bolts had extra washers to "space the bolt back")

:cry: :cry:

so far my crusier experiance is not going well .....

Thats a shame mate.

I've seen heads for around the £250.00 mark, on a positive note, its only the extra head cost, as the gaskets, bolts etc all needed replacing anyway.

I know its another expense just before Christmas, but get them to do the timing belt and water pump at the same time if not done in your ownership, I recall you've already put in a new stat?

My Lj has been gone for less than a week, and I doubt I would have another with the 2.4 engine, this whole overheating issue is too much of a problem.

What about the 90 that you mentioned, did it happen?

Pete

yep ... it's a right p.i.t.a the 2.4 engine ...

the cam belt, water pump are being done anyway ..

once this work is done ... i'll be listing it up for sale ... i just can't afford to have an unreliable car as the missus's parents are both elderly and disabled.

that other 90 ..... no m8 it didn't happen ... i got done out of the deal :evil:

Thanks Pete ....

i have left it in the hands of the guy doing the work .... i am so fed up with it now ..

if your handy with the spanners, and have got the time to hunt out a 4-runner with a 3litre derv engine, your laughing! :thumbup:

ive gained a 3 litre engine, and so far im £1000 in profit. weighing in whats left this weekend, and then got about another £100-£200 worth of parts left to sell, so i guess i will have made £1500 by the time ive got shot of everything. :dance:

Problem is finding a decent one at the right £££, and then having somewhere for it to sit, and the wife being happy with the idea....

I reckon I could've made more from my LJ by parting it out, rather than selling it as one, but I failed on one crucial point, will let you decide for yourselves which....

I dont think that an LJ is suitable as a main family car purely on the basis of engine reliability, plus poor mpg, so I can see why you would get rid of it.

Pete

Carl

Is it fixed yet?

Re-reading this thread, its pretty clear to me that the truck was sold to you with the fault already there - the dismantled stat being the usual bodge to disguise overheating.

We should do a buyers guide for LJ series vehicles, so others are aware of the potential pitfalls.

Pete

Fit the Hilux 2.8na cylinder head or the head off the MK4 Hilux (basically the same thing). The 2.8 head is a lot stronger and they used that design on the MK4 to cure the cracking issues.

Ring Ryan on 07746466566 as I think he has a complete MK4 head for sale and it wont be expensive :thumbup:

Would be a shame to get rid of it when, apart from this pitfall, it has beed a great truck for you and IMO soooo much better than your last one ;) (I'm also on 4 wheel drive club :thumbup: )

actually the 3L head is not stronger, it is the same head with the same design flaw.
many importers here as well as Toyota Canada tried to claim the same improvement but the "new" head still cracks, it just allows the owner to get past the warranty period.
it also comes down to where you live, how you drive and the purpose of the vehicle.
if you live in an area where the speed limit is slow, if you don't bag on the engine, if you don't do heavy towing, if there is minimal head winds, if there isn't long mountain passes or 1000 km gentle elevation increase then the head will last longer
but
when she pukes her guts on the road it isn't going to be in your driveway, it is going to be at the most inconvient time ... usually when you have the wife and kids along ... which means, not only do you have a dead truck but you also have upset bored kids and a wife that is going to be reminding you for some time about it.

here, we have LJ and KZ that have been passed from individual to individual and each one dumps more money into them. the ONLY real solution is to stick a different engine in. even the old 22R or 22RE will give you the same fuel mileage, better performance and better reliability.
of course a 3B, PZ, or HZ/HDT makes for a sweet swap.

Back