Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Overland Trip with HDJ80 - spares package suggestions

Michael Clark

Country Flag
uk
So I am going to South Africa, Namibia and Botswana with my HDJ80.

What spares should I take. She is pretty well services, new calipers, brakes, front and rear axles done etc..

I dont want to go overboard, just the common issues. I think HDJs are fairly well catered down in Southern Africa so anything major I should be able to find a local garage. So just need things to get me out of trouble.

those bolts that hold the stearing together at each wheel, they like to come un done.

Which ones? Track rod ends?

(not sure if this roughtrax diagram is accurate)
2019-01-10 19_47_00-Refurbished Exchange IFS Power Steering Box _ RoughTrax 4x4.png

I'm not sure what they're called..there's 4 facing downwards by the cannon balls
(I'm not that technical)
Screenshot_20190110-195936_Samsung Internet.jpg
The ones that hold 45612
Screenshot_20190110-200251_Samsung Internet.jpg

Last edited:
Depending on the running condition of the truck I would suggest a good service and multipoint inspection all round. If all is sound then extra fuel filter, Air filter, some belts even used ones as spares, Fuses, injector cleaner, tools and recovery gear inc reflector jacket and triangle, 1 litre brake fluid & steering fluid. All small light items to keep as spare. Other than that the 80 if running right is highly reliable.

You can get cruiser parts very easily there. I would suggest joining the landcruiser club S.A. as they are a very helpful bunch and the network is 2nd to nun

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
I've just been thinking about this and the minimum toolkit you should take.

imo building up a tried and tested tool kit is essential. by tried and tested I mean tools that have been used on the 80 and are relevant to the 80.
as mentioned a well maintained 80 is a reliable 80. any failures on a trip have been my own fault tbh. " that uj should last until I get back", or the crap milners wheel bearings I fitted many many moons ago..
obviously depending on where someone is going, but I always have good stock back home. with someone reliable having access to them so a part can be sent out as a last resort.

imo building up a tried and tested tool kit is essential. by tried and tested I mean tools that have been used on the 80 and are relevant to the 80.
as mentioned a well maintained 80 is a reliable 80. any failures on a trip have been my own fault tbh. " that uj should last until I get back", or the crap milners wheel bearings I fitted many many moons ago..
obviously depending on where someone is going, but I always have good stock back home. with someone reliable having access to them so a part can be sent out as a last resort.

So whats on your list Mike?

I would change the hoses and belts before you go and consider even changing the alternator if unknown age. Flat batteries scare me!
For spares, perhaps include wheel bearings and the ability to change them.
Plus whats already been suggested

im not a good example tbh mike. I chuck a couple of wheel bearings in with seals. a front and rear uj. iv put a cv joint in the spares box before a trip knowing that one had a lot of miles on it. head lamp relays. even though I don't like the stuff K seal works in a emergency. that was when I was on the original rad.

I change the belts every other cambelt change and have never had one snap yet.

so pretty much covering original parts/parts with a lot of miles on them. its used 7 days a week so the miles are always adding up.
a low mileage/well prepped 80 is going to be very reliable. you are unlikely to wear new or low mileage genuine parts out on a trip. so imo it then comes down to breakages or unforeseen events. breakages can be avoided or at least minimised by driving style. driving with a bit of mechanical sympathy if you like.
unforeseen events are, well, unforeseen..
as I said before I carry what I would call a good set of tools including some electrical wire, tape, cable ties and other such bits. a couple of decent recovery straps with a couple of shackles. some load retaining straps that I have for work have come in handy before. jump leads, good compressor.
DECENT TORCH! or whatever kind of light and a means of recharging it/spare batterys.
Stanley knife.

Thanks all.

And what about essential tools - socket and spanner sizes for example?

And which paper workshop manual is best?

My off road list is a little OTT TBH however, if your 80 is auto take a set of starter contacts, I actually carry a complete starter and alternator. Assuming cambelt mileage is known, I would put new AC and fan belts on, carry old ones as spares. This way you reduce the chance of a breakage in the first place and know for sure your spares fit. 2 metres of 19mm heater hose, this allows a complete bypass from one side of the engine block to the other if either the front or rear heater systems/pipework spring a leak. Radweld, 2 pack metal putty, tank tape, spare car keys.

Tools, a complete socket set, the proper socket for the aforementioned front wheel bearings, the 4 nuts holding the lower hub bearing that @fbnss mentioned have been known to loosen however, experience has shown that incorrect fitting procedure is more likely to blame as opposed to being an 80 fault, so it would not hurt to put a torque wrench on them. Usual other hand tools plus a digital multimeter, fuses that suit the 80 plus fuses that may be needed for fitted accessories, decent torch, clear goggles (large grinding type if you can get them), spare bulbs, decent medical kit, making sure you have your own syringes.

I plead guilty to carrying everything bar the kitchen sink.......:think: might actually have that? I often travel out alone and so far have needed nothing (me and my big mouth), but you can bet if I didn't carry it, it will be needed, I even carry a spare CV and driveshaft flange so waaaay OTT.

As an aside, I keep a 'bail out' rucksack to hand, spare meds/snacks/water/passport/car documents/basic first aid kit/ change of clothes ect, odds and ends that may be needed urgently in case you get caught up in floods or a vehicle fire and need to 'bail' on the quick.

My 'proper' list is comprehensive to say the least but I can see everyones eyes glazing over already so will stop there. :sleeping-sleep: :lol:

Regards

Dave

Back