Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Oztent RV5 and camping bed combo.

wobbly

Garage
Ive booked for Portugal in September 2014.

This time, we are using one site as a base and driving circular routes, so same site each night.

My Khyam 100 is ideal for a one/two night camp, but o way could I manage 8 nights, especially if it rains, I need more space and height.

I like the Oz tents - the quick put up time works for me.

I also want a camp bed, and will have a chair and small table, so I can sit in there at night or if its raining etc in some comfort.

I'm thinking RV5 - it looks the right size and will take a bed etc.

Anyone using an RV5?

In relation to beds, Oztent do an oversized comfy bed - anyone using one?

The other alternative, for a similar price, is a camp bed/tent combo, which I could use as a bed inside the tent, and also as a tent in its own right if needed.

I have a year to save up......

Pete

Had a look on the Norwich camping website, I guess the 3, 4 or 5 would do, not much difference in price.

The bed is the King Goanna, actually much cheaper than the bed/tent combo.

Pete

I like the bell tents tbh i have a 4m with the base attached. we have been in some really bad storms in it and they cant get hold of the tent because it has no sides.
They are excellent. i am looking for a roof tent at the mo for the trip as we are going to drive down and spend time in different places on the way there and back. i just picked up a 50l waeco for the 80.
Happy days
stu

I've had an rv 3 for the last 4/5 years.... imo a superb tent for car camping

IMG_6951.jpg
100_0763.jpg

I've used it all over the UK and france, and had no issues. Pefect for daily moves, roomy enough for longer stays.

I also have an ozbed i got free with a landrover mag subscription, good bed, but aldi et al have similair offerings that cost far less. you still need a thermarest etc to be comfy. For comfort in warm conditions you'll do well to beat an aerobed http://www.aerobed.co.uk/pages/product.asp?prodid=2072&range=Outdoor&type=Mattress.

I struggle a little to get up off an airbed, bit of a stiff back, so the camp bed has an appeal.

The RV3 would be fine, but as the 5 isnt a huge amount more the extra size does appeal.

Some of the reviews for oztents arent exactly good, bit of a worry for the price.

Pete

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
Oz tents seem to be a love\hate thing. I bought an RV5, with most of the extra panels, and hated the thing. Sold it on after a few trips. I now have a jet tent which is a similar idea, takes a bit longer to put up but has a lot more space.

The main problems we had with the RV5 was a lack of space in the front living section, fine if you are somewhere dry and can spread out - terrible if it is raining and everything needs to be inside, and large amounts of condensation in the sleeping area.

Ian

Last edited:
Ive been looking at Oz tents amongst other quick pitch tents for a while and the problem I can see with nearly all of the quick pitch tents is the lack of a fly sheet. In our climate in the UK if you dont have a fly its almost inevitable that you will get condensation problems, its not as bad in the polycotton tents as the fabric can breathe a bit but depending on the weather you use it in and the amount of people inside without a fly it will still get damp.

From memory, there was an exposed metal pole which dripped condensation directly above your head when sleeping. Being 6'4" I am fairly limited in my sleeping positions, moving down the tent a bit was not an option.

Oztent fly eliminates condensation. We have RV3 and can close off the front area which works for us. If you put two stretchers in the sleeping area there isn't much room for anything else though. Only downside is the 2m length so when you have a RTT also, things get complicated. That said, i've been talking to a guy in South Africa who has solved this by putting the oztent under his rack.

Last edited:
I used an Oztent RV3 with fly at Lincomb the weekend just gone. I've previously had an RV4, RV5 and a Jet Tent F30X all of which were sold without using them for various reasons. For fairly short stay camping for 1 or 2 people the RV3 seems an ideal size but 3 or 4 would be a squeeze. Having the fly should prevent condensation (none this weekend) not only for being a second layer but it also means the rear and side windows can be open in the rain so you can have good ventilation. I left the fly on the tent when I packed it away and it wasn't a problem.

When I put the RV5 we had up in the garden the frame seemed to flex a lot and the plastic joints were a bit twisted even without load from guy ropes on them but it was quite spacious. Those plastic joints put me off relying on the RV5 for a 3 week family holiday but I've since noticed you can buy replacements online so maybe a handful of spare joints would have done the trick.

I use a pop-up tent for the last three years and what I like is it has two bedrooms and can sleep four easy
great for overnight od for few days

Hi Mike !

Your tent was a bit big for me, but that Khyam of mine - whilst really comfy - is too small. I also like the idea of a camp bed, the airbed is comfy now I know not to fully inflate it! but those King Goannas are comfy.

Rather than rent the stone chalet, im going to hopefully put the money into better kit - so if it pi$$e$ down I can sit and read etc.

Cheers

Pete

I am going to try one of those double air beds this time as we will take the big tent

Our 'self inflating' mats turned up today - opened the valve on one and lay it on the tiled floor - it was grabbed by both Labby Doors and didnt get a chance to fully inflate - at least they like it!
Steve

The King Goanna stretcher has turned up, its a great size, longer and wider than me - maybe a single blow up airbed on top for comfort, but its a huuuuge improvement on the floor!

Tent next - the stretcher is 2.1m, so RV4 or RV5.

Had my eye on a couple on ebay, but cocked up the end time, doh!

The RV5 will take bed, chair and table, small hanging rail and be very spacious still, my lad will be in the khyam pop-up so if its wet we can still sit in the oztent.

Looking at some RTT's though, not a lot of difference in cost ! Dont want a RTT though, all that climbing combined with my sleepwalking, not good.....

Will look at jettents also.

Pete

I use a rv5 bit more room for those big beds. I also use a self inflating mat instead of an air bed so much warmer

Sent from my HTC One X using Tapatalk

I agree that a fly sheet is essential the uk, we have had our tent for 3 seasons and spent at least 30 nights a year in it in all weathers and never had a problem yet
another thing is the length of the Ozbeds they will only go cross ways in a RV3 not handy with 2 of you

Back