Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Parts Needed for HJ60

Ben Stratford

Supporter
Country Flag
england
I have a new lower tailgate, number plate light bezel and 4wd badge, but need a new GX badge. Does anyone have one they don't need so I can complete the back end?

Need rear leaf springs too with shackles, bushes and u bolts.

Spare wheel needed - a 15" like these:
HJ60 3.jpg

Cheers, Ben

Hi Ben,
I have a brand new pair of greasable shackles that I brought back from north America. Fitted one pair to my truck but have never unwrapped the other pair.
Just measure the inner width before we go any further, other than to say we are coming to the UK in July (posting them from here would be a fortune) but you may not want to wait that long.

Regards,

Where are you located Rodger?

Milner off road here sell the leaf spring kits with all shackles etc, which is probably where I will get them from as the front came from there but they are out of stock for a month or so

I really didn't like the milner leaf springs on mine. I've bought a set of terrain tamer heavy duty 50mm lift. They're the business.

Thanks Iwan, that's great insider info. I have read back some of the old posts and lots agree with you so will look at other for the rear end.
I see the terrain tamers are available from cruiser world as well as OME. Being heavy duty, are they bouncy or hard?

Hi Ben,

We live in Spain at a town called Ugijar.
Bet you're glad you asked!

I'll dig out the shackles and photo them, if you want.

Cheers

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
Hi Ben.
The wheels you have arnt genuine rims. I would have a genuine 60 rim but I'm fairly sure it's a 16. I will have a 15inch rim that would do you for a spare though.
May also have the badge.

Thanks karl

Hi Ben.
The wheels you have arnt genuine rims. I would have a genuine 60 rim but I'm fairly sure it's a 16. I will have a 15inch rim that would do you for a spare though.
May also have the badge.

Thanks karl

Thanks for your reply Karl, please message me ref the badge.
I have seen that cruiser world have these wheels but they are 115 euro's each which isn't too bad.
Want to get mine refurbed and a spare to match

Cheers, ben

Hi Ben,

We live in Spain at a town called Ugijar.
Bet you're glad you asked!

I'll dig out the shackles and photo them, if you want.

Cheers
Lucky you Rodger, better weather than here then!

Hi Ben,

I dug out the greaseable shackles today and measured them. According to my information for a 60 series the space between the bolts needs to be 3.25 inches on the front, which also allows for the bushing lips, however on the rear they need to be able to accommodate the spring and bush lips and the spring is 1030mm so the shackles need to be around 4 inches wide. The pair I have are only 3 and 3/16ths so are too small.

Sorry, but better to find out now.
And yes, it is warm (31) and sunny

Regards,

Ok thanks rodger. Are greasable shackles essential or just convenient?
my truck seems to have its original shackles which may be worn and the bushes are shot but there are no bangs or squeaks. What do the greasable shackles do?

Greasable shackles mean that you can grease them! If you can grease them it means that they move easier and they don't ware the bushes.:think:

Yes indeed, however it appears I have original bushes that are now 27 years old but without grease nipples so the need for greasing seems to be minimal in standard use. sandy or dusty areas may need them but Toyota didn't seem that bothered it seems.

Anyway, if I go with greasable shackles, would rubber be suitable or do you have to use poly?

From my limited experience of 60's I would conclude that Toyota didn't fit rubber bushes because there was a better alternative. Believe me, greasable polybushes do wear out and give a harder ride than the OEM rubber ones.
If you want the best ride, if your springs are original get then stripped, blasted and painted, the top two leaves re set by one inch, the wear grooves smoothed out and all the teflon cushions replaced. that will give you a rear spring as close to new as possible then I'd use rubber bushes with new shackles if the old ones are rusty.

Back