Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

pass me the F.B.H.

goodoldboy

I"ve just finished reinstalling windows after a bad lockup/failure - wont bore you all with the details but this begs the question what is the alternative to win 7? ubuntu? XP? or shell out & get a mac? for the mo im going to try a dual boot & install ubuntu alongside win 7. a mate working in I.T. has suggested XPlite - anyone have any experience of this?

Most of the latest Linux distros are pretty good, been using Linux (Kubuntu at the minute) for about 5 years now and havent looked back since.

Switched to a Mac about a year ago and would take some convincing to go back now...

Sorry, someone mention MACs? :whistle: :whistle:

Chris

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
I do like macs. They stop people whining about windows;)

How bad is it to reinstall win7? I reinstall my machine more often than I care to remember (always own fault or upgrading hardware something etc)
A rule which makes it easier is to do is keep all your important stuff on a separate disk, that way, when it comes to reinstalling stuff, you don't have to worry about keeping stuff.

If you want a computer for surfing, looking at pics, bit of word processing and stuff like that, get a mac. As much as windows is hated, it is not going anywhere.

No problems since I have gone to W7 :whistle: Just get rid of all that bloat-ware if you install from "recovery" image/DVD.

Rob said:
Just get rid of all that bloat-ware if you install from "recovery" image/DVD.

Don't start with that. I just bought a laptop for work. It is easier to rid a PC of viruses than it is to get rid of the useless sh1t they put on there! :twisted:
The best one was some app which would show me special offers in shops near me. I can only guess it knew where I was based on IP address as the laptop does not have a GPS. Would you ever be working on a laptop and say "oh yes, look, this annoying pop up has told me about a special on at Fred's Discount Bonanza 4 towns away, let me go take a look!"
/rant

reinstall on a computer, what is this medieval art form you speak of????

Dave MacHappy.

Reinstall? Beat me to it Dave. I'm afraid I haven't being doing that. Is it something I need to be looking at? Sounds important.

Quote: If you want a computer for surfing, looking at pics, bit of word processing and stuff like that, get a mac

WOW - you mean it does all that too? I'm doubly impressed.

Chris

Chris said:
Quote: If you want a computer for surfing, looking at pics, bit of word processing and stuff like that, get a mac
If you want do all that and still be able to afford to eat then just install Linux on your existing computer. ;)

Crispin said:
I reinstall my machine more often than I care to remember (always own fault or upgrading hardware something etc)
A rule which makes it easier is to do is keep all your important stuff on a separate disk, that way, when it comes to reinstalling stuff, you don't have to worry about keeping stuff.
Generally installing new software with conflicts.
Over heating kills them.

Top priority ------------>Keep Pictures and Document folder backed up onto a 1 terabyte running W7.
To be fair, this W7, hasn't locked up, or blue screened me since I bought it 2 years ago.
It has had some serious hard work, been through many airports, out the case "bump bang, into scanner tray, back into the case the case bump / bang, but still works a treat.

The one thing I do have, is I have it sitting on a USB powered fan.
Lower at the front, higher at the back, easy to use.
It is hot (29 to 34 deg. ) every day through the summer, and it needs cooling assistance.
The base is the size of my 15 inch laptop.
The fan itself, must be a good 7 inches dia.
[attachment=0:1v8ll9fx]Fan.JPG[/attachment:1v8ll9fx]
Gra.

Attachments

• Fan.JPG
    Fan.JPG
    120.3 KB · Views: 120
Rob said:
No problems since I have gone to W7 :whistle: Just get rid of all that bloat-ware if you install from "recovery" image/DVD.
yep now running enterprise & have got rid of all the useless programes from the laptop makers - fat lot of good anyway as i think driver issues caused the initial probs.also have all my important stuff backed up on an externall HD but i want my tools to work not to cause me problems - hence having a landcruiser

Back