Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Pedders shock bush failure?

Knucklehead

Was wondering if anybody had fitted the Pedder's shocks and ended up with the same problem I had with the rear lower shock bush.
Shocks on less than a year with little in the way of extra load on:

ShockBush.jpg

The support at Pedder's was first class as usual and they sent me out two new shocks under warranty.
My initial thought was I'd over tightened the bolt but it was done to 47ft.lbs as per Toyo spec and Pedders reckoned this was ok setting.

According to Pedders the shock bush should only crush a couple of mm but when I fitted the replacement shocks there is a good 7mm between the end of the post and the end of the outer bush which will get crushed until the shock bolt comes into the contact with the end of the post:

pinLength.jpg

and with the new shock torqued there is a lot more than a few mm crush put on the bush:
torque2.jpg
Really keen not to be pulling these again in a year.
Anybody seen this sort of failure on a shock bush before or something I am stuffing up?

dave.

No warranty given or implied on my following comments but that is more than i would squash a rubber shock bush. Ive always done them by eye rather than torque. I've done plenty of suspension upgrades (on LRs not LCs) and as a rule of thumb I dont torque them down more than 50% of their height/width.

I've never had a shock come off. Yet :)

You have to tighten this bolt til it stops. There isn't any way to simply torque it in free thread. It would just undo and fall out.

thanks for replies.

Really not sure what to do with this now.
If I again torque them down to Toyo spec the bushes will stuff themselves again.

On the other hand, running around with my family in the back and a bolt come undone doesn't appeal.
Pedders are contacting their guys in OZ for ideas.

You could locktite the bolts in at the desired level of crush.

I've got a set here to fit in the next week or so I'll have a check when I do.

I replaced my shocks and bushes a couple of months back (went with OE) and the bushes certainly squashed up a lot more than 2 or 3mm. As has been said you have to torque the bolts up to the correct setting. Not fully tightening and loctiting them may well prevent them coming loose but if the bushes aren't a tight enough fit in the shock 'eyes' they'll be prone to move and wear more quickly. JMO

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
I wouldn't have enough experience of tightening shocks bushes by eye and would always have it in the back of my mind driving down the road they are coming out.

Think I will torque these up to Toyo spec 47ft.lbs again. If they stuff up again then likely will go back to OEM.
Have enough maintenance to keep up with without shock bushes falling apart and needing replaced every year.

Thanks for suggestions anyhow.
Dave.

My pennyworth would be to drop a spacer washer or tube each side of the bush, to reduce the compression of the rubber.

That way you'll get it tight but without crushing the rubber too much.

A few mm cut from the same tubing (from the old shockers) should do it, if I'm understanding the photo correctly...

pinLength.jpg

Yeah Clive, the picture is not very clear. The steel post that the eye of the shock fits over is part of cruiser axle not the shock itself.
You could make a spacer up to extend the length of the post to take pressure of the bushes but then the securing bolt would not be fully seated inside the post like it is meant to be.

Can't see any reason why shocks being sold for 80 series should need require any modifications and if a different torque setting to standard 64NM is required then folk need to be told.

Anyhow, with MOT coming up I have re-set the new ones to standard Toyo Torque and will see what happens. Been happy with the Pedders kit but feel an OE shock/spring order on the horizon.

I think, when I fit mine I might use slightly longer bolts, I need to replace one anyway as it sheared and had to be drilled out and retapped. Might take the pressure off the bush and can still be torqued up correctly.

I'll have a check of mine later and see how they look.

turns out there are two different 9500 series shocks around.
The one on the left is the replacement I was sent which is an old type and the one on the right is the type originally sent to me -updated version.
They have completely different bushes both top and bottom. The old style has two separate lower bushes same as original OE while the new is one piece with grooves cut out of the outer edges of the bush for some reason.

Hoping the old style holds up better.
newShock1.jpg

gary, do you remember if you tightened by eye or used torque setting?

Had a look and no bush failure, they are quite squashed up but in one piece.
I didn't use a torque wrench no mate, just tightened by feel.

Did just notice how shockingly bad the rear springs are looking though!!! Hardly any paint and what is there is all cracked. Fronts aren't bad at all though. Guess the coating doesn't stand up well to stones etc. Maybe don't have gravel tracks in oz where they're made :icon-rolleyes: not like done 20 k miles.
Might have to drop them a mail about it. Otherwise I'll be re painting them.

yeah Gary, plenty of corrugations and stones in West OZ just not the salt muck they spread on the roads in the UK.
Pedders customer support is first class but don't think many suspension suppliers cover the finish under warranty.
Anyhow, think will loosen the shocks up again and tighten by hand. Praying they don't drop off :pray:

I dropped them a message to see what they say. I like how it performs but less then 5k miles and a year they look terrible.

I would still make sure they're tight rather then just enough. Have a torque for a reason. I'd rather trim the bush a little bit then not fully tighten it up.

turns out there are two different 9500 series shocks around.
The one on the left is the replacement I was sent which is an old type and the one on the right is the type originally sent to me -updated version.

Hoping the old style holds up better.
View attachment 14334

The one on the left is the same as the ones I have. I only bought them about a month ago. Wonder if the "updated version" has been superseded by the originals?

My understanding from Pedders was they received a batch of the new type shown on the right which I originally received 4 off.

The newer version certainly has beefier top bushes compared to the older style and different securing washers. I have found the older version is giving a less harsh ride on the roads, maybe to do with the lack of weight I have in the back not really suiting the newer style bushes. Who knows but I am happier for use in my DD truck.

The older version I have been sent also had an extra top index washer which I have ditched to keep the set-up same as OE:
extraRing3.jpg
I have ended tightening up using a ring spanner and painted some matchmarks along the bolt to shock. Bit OTT but slightest sign of coming undone and it is the torque wrench treatment again.
I now have two new style shocks fitted to the front and two older versions at the back :wtf:

Last edited:
Sending me a pair of new rear springs :icon-biggrin: turns out mine are 2011 ones and coating process has changed. The fronts are 2012 and look as good as the day i fitted them. Well worth sending that message.

Good result. seems to be a fair bit of old&new kit changes have happened.

Pedders in OZ had a look at my torqued/squashed bush picture and reckoned normal. Turns out there was a batch of faulty bushes went out with the newer style shocks. Guess I was one of the unlucky ones. Will see how the new ones hold up being that they are the older style without the grooves cut in the edges.

Must be losing a bit in replacement kit. I've had 4 new shocks in less than a year. 2 because of the bushes stuffing up and 2 to replace damaged kit that came with original order.:think:

They definitely are one of the better companies to deal with but any more issues and its back to standard for me.

Old thread but this seems a common enough problem with Pedders so no sense in starting a new one to ask -

Can i get superpro bushes or something similar to replace my failed pedders bushes ?

Back