Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Peeling lacquer

Hutton

Garage
Country Flag
scotland
Has anyone had a problem with the top coat of lacquer peeling off the rear bumper? Mine has one or two areas where palm sized areas of lacquer have just peeled away. I am reckoning that the only way to sort it is to get the old lacquer removed and get the bumper refinished.

I've not had it on the bumper but had it on the front wings and yes it needs scraping off, repainting them re lacquering.

Last edited:
It's a real pain in the ass. I've never had this on any vehicle before.

if it's confined to the bumper it's relatively easy. You can remove the bumper and seal with it inside. The guy that did mine scraped what was left off with a Stanley blade. Pressure washing is often what starts this off IMO.

Just an aside, but I suppose it’s a combination of UV and porosity that causes the bond of the clear coat to break down. I wonder if one of the nano technology polishes / coatings coming out might reduce this happening any better than a good waxing They’re supposed to be non porous, bit pricey though.

An over enthusiastic pro polishing is what caused my lacquer/paint to separate i think , a car paint mixer said they have burnt the lacquer so he had no chance of mixing a colour match .

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
Pretty common with ageing of paint even more so in hot climates sitting in the sun. My bonnet / hood before.

IMG_0094.jpg

It could be a poor repaint/repair of the rear bumper. It would probably cost £200ish to have the entire bumper stripped and repainted.

Back