Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Petrol Land cruiser 80 series

Andy200

Country Flag
uk
I am trying to buy an 80 series but having no luck, so far I have won two on eBay but both the people selling them have already sold them just not removed them from eBay :angry-screaming:. So my question is what are the petrol ones like I am sure I'm not the first to ask but I have tried the search and didn't find what I was looking for. I would prefer a diesel one but all the ones that I can find are a bit on the rough side but there are a few descent petrol ones out there. I have be told to avoid them if they have had gas fitted because it burns the valves out.
Thanks in advance
Andy

Andy
I have had 2 petrol LC80s - and have spent quite some time driving a diesel. I personally prefer the petrol, they are smoother, quieter, more responsive and not much more (in my view) to run. It depends on your driving but my current LC80 is gas converted with gas lube to protect the valves. I do a regular run to Cornwall from London and I have worked out it costs me £10 less for the journey as it does in my 2.00 litre petrol VW Golf.
My only tip is be prepared to travel to buy one.
Best of luck
Dom

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks for that Dom that is the sort of answer I was hoping for. Running costs are not as important as the condition of the car. I already own a Defender 90 so I'm not looking for another project car just yet:icon-biggrin:. I have found one not to far from me looks mint but does have 187 k on it.
Andy

I wouldn't be too fused about milage on a petrol 80 Andy. As long as it drives as it should. The petrol engine doesn't give many issues at all.

I run a non lpg petrol, great engine and really smooth to drive. I can get 20mpg on a good run (lifted on 35's ) and if not hanging around it'll do single figure mpg. You can tickle the throttle and still gets upto speed no problem (mine is tweaked so goes quite well)

Make sure it's been well serviced and the mileage is nothing to worry about. I stopped looking for a diesel and went petrol as got more for my money, haven't looked back.

Petrols are fine and quite I converted mine to gas and flash lube . It's not used much mainly towing wife's horse box and shooting trips so I went for condition low mileage 97k Kim's hardly run in.

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
Thanks guys. What have you done in the tweaking department Gary,all I can seem to find is diesel tuning.
Andy

Thanks guys. What have you done in the tweaking department Gary,all I can seem to find is diesel tuning.
Andy

Mine has been chipped (done by a friend) free flow exhaust (front section getting done in a week) ignition timing adjusted, uprated ht leads. It all adds up and gives really nice smooth power delivery. I only run 98 octane too.

The 3FE series 80s are low powered, easy to work on and dead nuts reliable. The 1FZ-FE engine has a couple minor issues that need looked after, specifically the PHH (Pesky Heater Hose) and the head gasket. Either engine can make it to 400,000 miles with proper maintenance.

Thanks for the help guy's but i have just put a deposit down on a diesel one i found local to me after all that.

Cheers Andy.

Thanks Karl. There will be lots of work been done so plenty of pics will be taken.

Screen%20Shot%202015-09-27%20at%2017.07.17.png

Not up on my 12v 24v yet but it is auto and it's a 1993. It is clean and virtually rust free underneath, tailgate is excellent as well, interior is about average from the one's i've looked at, it has 190k on the clock with full toyota service which i checked up to 182k. It just has a few problems which i have started another thread for.

Nice one!:thumbup: By far the best colour ever applied to any vehicle anywhere from the beginning of the world to date. More pics please!

Yep it's a 12valve.

First job will be the big end bearings if they havnt been done. Plus genuine cam belt and tensioner if it was mine.

I couldn't find anything in the paperwork for the bearings so i will be ordering some but the timing belt was done on the last service.
Towpack i know what youre saying i was giving up hope of getting one in this colour.

First thing first..... That front bullcrap bar needs to goooooo !!! ;)

love the colour, looks really good, congrats!

Agreed, great colour and in startlingly good condition. What I wouldn't give to have non flaking lacquer!![emoji30][emoji30]

First thing first..... That front bullcrap bar needs to goooooo !!! ;)

love the colour, looks really good, congrats!

No kidding. It doesn't fit correctly, and the first time you go through some heavy bush or have a slight impact, that thing will bend back into your body work and create more damage.

I've heard them referred to as "damage multipliers".

Back