Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Petrol or diesel?

Had a ride (passenger) in a V8 100 series recently, that's an impressively smooth motor. Has anyone ever heard of the V8 being transplanted into an 80? That would be very nice.

Had a ride (passenger) in a V8 100 series recently, that's an impressively smooth motor. Has anyone ever heard of the V8 being transplanted into an 80? That would be very nice.

Oh great, just about to go to bed and you have me salivating!!

regards

Dave

Yeah people drop LS v8 motors in them, can buy adapter kits for it.
I'd love to do it but have a perfectly good 6 in there. It's not exactly slow either

Why would you want to? The 100 has a stronger frame and a better laid out interior. And the front end is good enough for most of the work you throw at it, and easy to service.
Get a 100.

35222 said:
Why would you want to? The 100 has a stronger frame and a better laid out interior. And the front end is good enough for most of the work you throw at it, and easy to service.
Get a 100.

I cant disagree with anything you say there uhu..

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
Get a 100.

Depends if you want a 100 or an 80. Different vehicles, both with their strong and weak points and different appeals. If you're prepared to re-engine an 80 for more power or because of a blown engine or whatever then you're obviously past considering a 100 series. JMO

The 4.5L petrol 1FZ-FTE engine is quite a strong engine. Most people have problems when they covert to gas and do valves in.
I run 4.5psi boost through my supercharger, plus a few other tweaks, at 16deg BTDC, all with around 240,000kms on the clock and it still runs strong. I generally don't use the words fuel and economy in the same sentence though.

I don't like gas on petrol engines, especially single point systems, injected gas is better but will still do valves. So between higher fuel usage and cost of head work, the per litre rate has to be damn cheap to make sense. IMO.

Nothing wrong with a petrol engine, just be prepared for the fuel consumption to be high. At that mileage though Overcruiser, it may need some head work soon.

Last edited:
I intentionally looked for one with no lpg, I don't like the stuff. Petrol engine should run on petrol imo. I personally don't think it's that bad on fuel, no worse then a 3.1 diesel isuzu I used to run and a lot more powerful.

Chris I so need a supercharger lol

Wouldn't Toyota have given an LPG option if it was that good? I would not buy one which had been converted to LPG, too many unknowns.

Chris I so need a supercharger lol

:icon-biggrin: It is nice..... Torque of a diesel, power of a .... well .... supercharged petrol.

But it has a drinking problem that makes Keith Richards look like tee-totaller ..... :(

could quite easily lose my license in it as it is now!

4.5 petrol engines should run 400k miles, or 600k km easy. They are actually designed to go 600k miles/900k km, provided you hold up your end of the maintenance.

The PHH or "Pesky Heater Hose" is a one time replacement with a silicone unit for o/a $30.

The head gasket is 100% an overheating issue, directly related to lack of maintenance. If you never over heat your LC, you'll never have to replace your HG. I know at least one 400,000 mile + LC on the original HG. Mine has 185,000 on it on the original HG. I keep a close eye on my cooling system, though.

Back