Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Plasma cutter, anyone got one?

Bat21

Supporter
Country Flag
morocco

Going to be doing a lot of fabrication of metal work over the coming months.

Anyone here got a Plasma cutter? How easy are they to use? Can anyone recommend a reasonably priced one? The majority of what I'll be cutting will be 2-3mm sheet maybe 5mm max.

Found this one but haven't got a clue if it's okay for a beginner?

They are amazing very easy to use. Couple of things to think about though.

Mind you fingers...
Be careful of any thing underneath it.
Price up the consumables when you are looking at buying.

I had a hydrotherm one. Good earth makes a big difference

Thanks for the tips Stu.

Thanks for the tips Stu.
I borrowed one from a mate to do some cutting. 3mm max it was just a cheapy from Machine Mart I think.... It was alright did the job.. simple to use... Like Stumog says Check everything. you can soon find yourself sat amongst some smouldering timber and 'yer hair on fire'..

A good earth really is key as the guys said. I mean proper good contact, decent cable and proper clamp or you'll go through consumables like a pig goes through truffles. They are not so easy to use if you want a real production cut (as they call it) thin stuff is easy but the thicker you go the harder it is. I clamp a straight edge on as a guide to cut against. Free hand is not so tidy. In expert hands it looks p155 easy. It's not. But the more you spend the better you look. Cheap little machine will cut, sure, but you want to go pro, then you're into the £thousands. Also get some brazing goggles. Welding screen is far too dark.

I would think about subbing the job out Paul - getting quotes from your local small/medium welding fabrication place might be worth it.

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
Thanks folks.... a few things to consider there.

Back