Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

plasma cutter recommendations.

chapel gate

Supporter
Promoted Company
Country Flag
england
Can anyone save me days of internet searching and recommend a plasma cutter that will cut 1/2" plate clean?
in the "cheap for what it is but more than does the job, and is extremely good value for money" category please..

Clean 1/2” plate cutting is a bit tricky. I’ve tried it and gave up. If you’re not doing much a good gas axe may be a better bet but then there’s bottles. A plasma of that size uses a lot of air so a good compressor is also essential.

Clean 1/2” plate cutting is a bit tricky. I’ve tried it and gave up. If you’re not doing much a good gas axe may be a better bet but then there’s bottles. A plasma of that size uses a lot of air so a good compressor is also essential.
Ok, scrub most of that. Well the gas axe bit anyway. Just watched this.

Can’t help with a make though asking around a few welding suppliers is probably worthwhile. We have Arun Welding near us that may be worth a call. They’re usually very helpful and have been there as long as I can remember.

I have a cut 40 and it's a great tool but:

It takes a high degree of skill to use it well.
Production finish cuts on half inch steel need professional gear really. It'll cut 40 mm but production cut is much less than that
Doesn't need a lot of air and not at that high pressure either
You can get through consumables like sweets so buy one with common spares that are cheap
Earth earth earth. Get a good earth cable and a proper welding earth clamp or you won't even get started.
You can get units with built in compressors but unless you've £2k for a Thermadyne, forget it.
Be prepared for some frustration to begin with

Go to a fabricator with the design and have them cut it.

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
Chris does your cut 40 have HF start? Is it necessary, or, does it make it a lot easier to have it?

It does. I think. It's very easy to start. Cutting it the tricky bit! You can get a nice little device like the cage off a Champagne cork that you sit the nozzle in so you can maintain a steady distance. I think I might need one of those. However, when they say knife through butter, they're not kidding.

Like I say, order some consumables with it.
Like any of these tools, the better the quality the easier the job. That looks like a decent machine but it's at the lower end of plasma cutters like mine. Top ones are more like a laser but cost way more. I rarely use mine for fine work. it's just for chopping out a basic shape that I can work with. I've seen people cut out things like weather vanes with them. I can't draw one with a pencil let alone plasma one. I've got better over time, but as I said, a REALLY good earth is essential.

I want to use one for making jigs for the router, currently make them from plywood but it is time consuming and they are easily damaged by the router when using them. Sounds like I would need some practice with the plasma though!
15234027376391766625171.jpg

20180411_003239.jpg

I thought that said Hitmans Farm the first time I looked at he template. :)

Have you considered a small CNC router Rich?

I had a hydrotherm 40 which was amazing.

When looking g for one make sure you price up Tue consumables aswell and they are all over the place.

I want to use one for making jigs for the router, currently make them from plywood but it is time consuming and they are easily damaged by the router when using them. Sounds like I would need some practice with the plasma though!
View attachment 143015

View attachment 143016
If you use the coller it wont damage your jigs, the lettering would be done oversized and any sharp corners would need finishing off with a sharp chisel but its no drama.

They hire them for up to 12mm plate. Probably best to try one first.
You will need a decent socket rated at 16A as although they will run happily on a 13A plug all day cutting thin stuff, as soon as you go to max current they do suck the power.
Yes i clocked that rich, its a hundred mile round trip though.. if they were closer id be there saturday morning..

I had a hydrotherm 40 which was amazing.

When looking g for one make sure you price up Tue consumables aswell and they are all over the place.
I bet it was! There reet expensive!

But way up the time it will save you.
I agree stu, if im looking at the right ones there well over a G. I could do with a new stick welder too.. so things are mounting up..

Back