Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Plastic water tanks going cheap.

Chris

Super Moderator
Supporter
Garage
Country Flag
great_britain
Some of you may have followed my trailer build in which I realised that the batteries which are very weighty are too far forward. The remedy is to move them back over the axle. However, due to the water tank design, the batteries won't fit between the tanks. The manufacturer realised this and came up with some new design plastic tanks. After a few mails, and about 2 years, they sent me a pair of tanks. Unfortunately whilst technically a pair because there are two of them, they are not a pair as in a set. But that aside they are nearly 3” too damn long so were never going to fit. I have decided to use a reliable British firm to make me some new tanks from scratch. So here are the plastic tanks which are now surplus. They are around 70 litres each, there’s a left and a right, and they have an inspection port in the top as well as a breather for air. The filler also has a breather. There are no other holes in them but as they are plastic you can drill wherever you like. The idea was to Siamese them but like I said that plan has gone right out the window. So I don’t want them. The blue pipe and push fittings aren't included by the way. I'm using those.

Screen Shot 2018-03-31 at 18.39.26.jpg

Screen Shot 2018-03-31 at 19.18.20.jpg

I have drawn dimensions on them so you can see the size. You could put fuel in them I suppose but they are not for that purpose. I think you could certainly adapt them for an overland build and best of all I don’t want much for them. Make me an offer. Plastic tanks are ridiculously expensive and I had a quote for having them made in plastic at the right size and they were nearly £700. I can’t post them but I could work out some sort of relay via Lincomb I am sure, or the Overland show. Now one of them may be spoken for but no one needs TWO tanks. Do they?
Give me a shout if you're interested. I'm not sure where I'd put these in a cruiser, but maybe instead of a back seat or something. There's no water pick up so you can decide exactly where that would go.

You mean length Moggy? Around 33"

Like it says in big black numbers on the tanks dude. 410mm

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
Like it says in big black numbers on the tanks dude. 410mm
Aha, the pic is a bit deceiving, I hadn’t realised that was an end on shot, I thought it was a front shot

Last edited:
Swap for a set of Hilux roof bars to you mate if you get me. Yours if you want one of them. Mind you if you ever find that foot, it'd be helpful.

Let me know which tank would suit you best.

They're very tough. Probably 5mm thick so you can put stuff on top no problem.

Swap for a set of Hilux roof bars to you mate if you get me. Yours if you want one of them. Mind you if you ever find that foot, it'd be helpful.

Let me know which tank would suit you best.

They're very tough. Probably 5mm thick so you can put stuff on top no problem.
Oh bloody hell!! Sold mine el cheapo to someone on here last year!!:tearsofjoy:
We’re moving house soon so it might turn up
I need to do some measuring up, I don’t think they would both fit across the vehicle so maybe only one.

No they won't both fit. I'm sure of that. Someone else did want one so best get your dibs in quick. I only asked if you'd look in your shed mate. I didn't mean you have to sell up in order to find it.

No they won't both fit. I'm sure of that. Someone else did want one so best get your dibs in quick. I only asked if you'd look in your shed mate. I didn't mean you have to sell up in order to find it.
Lol, yep I’ll have the other then please if the price is right
I might be able to drop in to the overland show, will know nearer the time.

Which one do you want looking at the picture? Left or right. They're sort of handed rather than identical. Not massively but you can see that you've a choice. The filler can be spun round but it's best to decide where you want the various gubbins. I don't want to bring both to the show. I might just forget a couple of the bits so it's not complete.

:laughing-rolling:

The one on the right in the top picture I think. I’m going to do some measuring up when I’m back home Monday to see if I might squeeze the other one in but no worries if someone else wants it. I won’t know until the last minute if I’m going to make the show but I’ll keep you posted, if not if someone can get it closer to home (bognor) it would be hugely appreciated. Otherwise where are you located?
Im going to be fitting them a bit different to how you have them I think. Will sit upright on the 215mm end behind the rear seat.

Hmm, if you do the breather and filler will be below the water level you know. They're really designed to be flat as in the pic, but ponder away. I'm near Sheffield.

Hmm, if you do the breather and filler will be below the water level you know. They're really designed to be flat as in the pic, but ponder away. I'm near Sheffield.
I could probably tap the breather and fit a plug. Presume the filler is already watertight so should be ok, probably!!

You have the filler which is the swan neck stainless fitting which is watertight but you'd need to extend it vertically, the breather which you could blank, yes and then the inspection port. I'm not sure I can guarantee that they seal 100% when filled and on their side. They screw in and there's a seal, but they're not designed to hold water back. They're lids.

You have the filler which is the swan neck stainless fitting which is watertight but you'd need to extend it vertically, the breather which you could blank, yes and then the inspection port. I'm not sure I can guarantee that they seal 100% when filled and on their side. They screw in and there's a seal, but they're not designed to hold water back. They're lids.
Let silicone be your friend :wink:
Or maybe a bit of plastic welding, worth a bash anyways.

Back