Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

polishing headlights

toolsplus

Country Flag
portugal
mine are looking a bit tired after 4 years on the dirt almost every day

are they worth saving with a polish and which product?

or bite the bullet and buy 2 new ones?

i'm in the UK for another coupla weeks

cheers

Depends how bad they are. I haven't done it on a 120, but with other vehicles with polycarbonate lenses, I've had decent results with cutting compound using a foam pad on a random orbital polisher on low speed (to avoid heat build up), followed by several coats of carnauba polish (for UV protection).

There are several “tutorials” on utoob showing the resoration of foggy and badly weathered plastic headlamps.

There you’ll find that the worst affected units can be restored, but it’s a lot of work.

When I replaced my OEM glass units with Chinese plastic ones, I had them covered with a heavy duty clear wrap.

It’s totally invisible and after a few years they look as clear as they day they were fitted. They get hard frosts in the winter and 40+ in the summer, and I’ve been through scratchy bushes and loads-a-mud, and they still look good.

Maybe an option after you’ve worn your elbows low on grease, restoring them.

33F14DE9-834C-42B8-9D70-1F36F8504C4D.jpeg

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
There are several “tutorials” on utoob showing the resoration of foggy and badly weathered plastic headlamps.

There you’ll find that the worst affected units can be restored, but it’s a lot of work.
dont like the last six words mate

thanks lads,any method's gota be better than how they are now

i think i paid £400 for MrT euro angled whole units

alot of dosh 10 years ago

asked next door neighbour where to buy car wax,was given some for free in my sisters milk jug

met his dad George who polished my headlights FOC with an orbital sander and paste

gona buy him some Amber Leaf for him for next time we meet

I use 1200 grade wet and dry, followed by a good polish with T cut, works really well, takes a bit of nerve to used the wet and dry, its a little counter intuitive but it does work.

Back