Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Poor mpg

wobbly

Garage
The 78 has never been overly economical, I struggle to get 20mpg.

The last tank has given me 18mpg.

I engaged the hubs permanently when I bought the truck as the electric cogs werent working - am going to remove the locking ring tomorrow, see what the difference in mpg is, if any.

Am going to look at the egr as well, common mod on Landies, might work on the 78 as well.

At the moment my 5.7 V8 Chevrolet dayvan is more economical.....

im getting high low 30's out of mine, although i am running on vegetable oil.

id be interested in seeing how you blank off your EGR valve, and what difference it makes. :thumbup:

I get between 24 and 36 in my 4.2D with a turbo (24 when towing or with 1.5ton on the back)

Its all down to the amount of weight your are moving and how hard you have to push the engine to move it.

A 70 series has the aerodynamics of a house brick. Think of it this way, all engines use a lot of fuel to get the house brick up to speed but my 4.2 can keep it there with little effort while your 2.4 still has to push hard to do the same at almost any speed. I live in the Lincolnshire fens and there are no hills at all.

My 75 will do 90 mph with no problem and no doubt it would be down to less than 18mpg if I pushed it all the time, yours will be under more pressure at less than 50mph and a lot more pressure going up hills.

I bet you can get higher but you would have to be so careful that it would become painful driving.

Some say connecting the front hubs makes about 1mpg difference, I have tried it both way but cant see any difference.

Not using 1st gear makes 3 mpg difference to me

I've tied it all off - will report back at the next fillup (the saving grace is that a full tank ie 75 litres, lasts me about 4 weeks).

I will remove the locking rings on the hubs at the next fillup.

I got a small bit of pipe from the Alfa garage in the village, he seems convinced I will see an improvement, will let you know.

Pete

Back