Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Porting and polishing manifolds… the easy way

StarCruiser

Supporter
Guru
Garage
Country Flag
uk
What a clever way to do a tricky job, and an amazing result.

I wonder if this could be used to de carbonise the inlet manifolds removing the crud from the EGR valves?

I wonder if this could be used to de carbonise the inlet manifolds removing the crud from the EGR valves?
That did cross my mind Andy, but I believe a large blowtorch is the answer. I’ve also seen Mr Muscle suggested, possibly on YouTube.

That did cross my mind Andy, but I believe a large blowtorch is the answer. I’ve also seen Mr Muscle suggested, possibly on YouTube.

I often thought of investigating the Black D4D Collie's inlet system to see the state of it but it went so well I never bothered. I just wondered how much of a restriction this carbonising causes. I know of a local company which introduces some water based " solvent" into the induction system while the engine is ticking over for half an hour and this is supposed to clean out the inlet manifold and cylinder head but until I see a before and after I'm not convinced.

After reading the thread on here about EGR cleaner on an 80 I think I would only clean parts that have been removed from the truck.

After reading the thread on here about EGR cleaner on an 80 I think I would only clean parts that have been removed from the truck.

Me too, that said they reckon to be able to clean the DPF using this method. They always give a before and after reading of the emissions and it reckons to reduce them. I think they are mainly doing Ford, Vauxhall and the like taxis.
I think the 100 series has a DPF on it and the Collie too.

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
I took my manifold to a blaster while i had it off , nothing fancy just stick your nozzle in the mate will you and i will give you a fiver .

It’s quite amazing the difference between the before and after graphs that are shown. The fact they are all equal is amazing. I think they must flow test them at intervals throughout the process and blank those ports that reach their peak to stop them going any further.

Unless the inlet tract is exceptionally choked up by the EGR crud, personally, I don’t think it makes much difference, if any at all. On a highly tuned high revving motor that’s really shifting some air, maybe but not on a low revving lumbering old diesel.
+1 on the removal of parts for cleaning. I wouldn’t be happy using these cleaners that remove the clag in-situ so it can pass through the motor and ‘burn’.

It could be a great side line for Greggs, When they are knocking out sausages over the w/end. Just run em through a couple of old manifolds.. Pick it up Monday morning on yer way to work. Along with ya pies.:thumbup:

Could make for somewhat gritty sausages though…:think:

:)

Back