Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

potential 120 owner...or disco 3?!?

jackrs1

Country Flag
uk
Hi, I am looking at 120 LC4s as I'm after a 7 seat 4x4 that will be comfy on the motorway but handle the lake district green lanes I have on my doorstep. I used to have defenders and miss going to play! I was lookng at disco 3s but being put off a bit by the cost of repairs. I would budget for them but I'm thinking I don' really want the hassle that I might get. the annoying part is the scarcity of 120 LC4s for sale compared to disco 3s!

Disco 3s are lovely places to be and look very nice, however, every Disco 3 owner I've spoken to has regretted buying it due to ridiculous numbers of failures, breakdowns and costs.

If you want an LC4 you just need to wait for the right one to come along, and maybe be willing to travel a bit to buy one.

Good luck with the hunt and don't buckle to the Disco.

All I will say is Disco 3's are pretty much rubbish, if you wanted to go the LR route a Disco 4 would be my choice. Better still try and find a good clean 100 series LC

I would go for a disco 4 if I had the funds but I don't unfortunately! I'm looking to spend up to 8grand, and don't really want to go older than a 2005 or newer than 2006, as I would like the extra torque whilst keeping the tax low!

The D3 is a nice drive but horribly expensive to maintain, even with the good availability of LR parts. Despite the rust I'd still go down the D2 route if I had a Disco itch to scratch. I love Discos and Range Rovers but they are generally better to look at than to own.
If you want reliability then you have come to a better place :)

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
I would go for a disco 4 if I had the funds but I don't unfortunately! I'm looking to spend up to 8grand, and don't really want to go older than a 2005 or newer than 2006, as I would like the extra torque whilst keeping the tax low!

Welcome Jack and good luck with your search.
Like yourself and others on here I've been seeking an LC4/ Invincible of pre higher tax bracket vintage.
I would say, by limiting yourself to pre March 06 to save £4/week on road tax you are discounting a lot of good buys.
I've looked at a fair few recently mainly at dealers as the choice has been better and looking underneath to start with soon determines whether to go further.
From my recent experience I have found even fair ones make £8-10K no trouble. I viewed 2 this weekend, one with 110K @ £9k was a shed and one with 130K was a peach with a much more negotiable price, both 05 LC4's so they are out there, good and bad.
As I always say though, remember the ABCD of buying a second hand truck and do your research, especially the MOT history will mention corrosion if it is relevant.

Thanks for the comments! I won't be rushing into buying one, but I think I'm fairly settled on a LC4 over a a disco....for now. That's assuming I still like it after a test drive, I do want something fairly refined at a 65mph cruise as it will be the family wagon.

unfortunately it's not! I'm in Kendal, but I am sure that 05/06 is pretty much as old as I want to go for my everyday car.

Go for Disco. Leaves more to chose between for those of us not in doubt.
Comparing your specs/wishes and your price tag, it seems that you are a bit under-funded.
Safety/7-seat-comfort/speed/offroadability/reliability comes at a monetary cost. Looks like you should be looking for a LC 100 or 200 series.

So I have quite specific vehicle I'm after, and looking on eBay and auto trader they are there for my budget, just need to travel! I like the darker leather for keeping clean plus I prefer the look. I was after the more powerful 2005 onwards model but I guess a map or quality chip would sort that out if intent earlier.

Yes definately be prepared to travel. I suggest if you find a possible candidate it would be worth posting here to see if someone local will give it the initial look over for you and maybe save you a wasted trip. I live in Norfolk but the vehicles here are few and more expensive (cars not 4x4) so travel to save thousands on purchases when I buy a car. We do have a couple of good 4x4 dealers, I’ll take a look next time I pass if you like.

So I have quite specific vehicle I'm after, and looking on eBay and auto trader they are there for my budget, just need to travel! I like the darker leather for keeping clean plus I prefer the look. I was after the more powerful 2005 onwards model but I guess a map or quality chip would sort that out if intent earlier.
Please please don't go for a Disco the boss at the marina where I work and the manager both have disco 3 and 4 ... they are both constantly at the garage.. the boss swapped his D4 for a newish shogun now that's constantly at the garage.. all the best with what ever you go for.

Yes definately be prepared to travel. I suggest if you find a possible candidate it would be worth posting here to see if someone local will give it the initial look over for you and maybe save you a wasted trip. I live in Norfolk but the vehicles here are few and more expensive (cars not 4x4) so travel to save thousands on purchases when I buy a car. We do have a couple of good 4x4 dealers, I’ll take a look next time I pass if you like.

Thanks appreciate that! I have found one down Southampton way which ticks all the boxes and judging by the video the underside looks ok too. Just need to wait for the money to come through!

Thanks appreciate that! I have found one down Southampton way which ticks all the boxes and judging by the video the underside looks ok too. Just need to wait for the money to come through!

There is a cracking looking 06 plate going through kings Lynn car auction tomorrow evening at 6pm. Check out there website (Anglia car auctions). Looks mint to me. Not massive miles 130k i believe and full history I also believe. Its available for purchase before auction for £6200. Tryed to convince the missus she needed it but no luck. Worth a look i believe.

Back