Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

'Power Heater'

nathanrobo

Got a 'Power Heater' on the TD LC. Didn't have it on the V8. It sends the revs up when the car's cold, so I never use it. Any ideas what it does, how it does it and why?

I believe the "why" is because it is used to increase the revs which prevents rough idling on a very cold diesel engine. I do not know how it does it.. Perhaps it alters the ecu. The switch on the 100 series diesels should automatically turn off.

Good morning...

As I recall it the Power Heater is heating up the water electrically -and hence the cabin as well! I use it on cold starts, when you run the car for a few minutes before driving (iced windows and such!) It cuts of automatically (if you forget it :oops: ) idiot proof like the rest of the car :| . Also it is not possible to apply when engine is warm! (for whatever reason !)

I insert this explanation from Mr. Toyota himself.....

The viscous type power heater, jointly developed by Toyota Industries and DENSO Corporation, provides supplementary heat generation for engines that produce low heat levels. This product shortens the time required for the engine water temperature to rise and allows the vehicle cabin to be heated quickly. In addition to achieving miniaturization and low cost by means of simplified construction, the viscous heater also relies on a friction-free non-contact mechanism to guarantee high reliability and safety.

[Specifications]
Dimensions (barrel diameter x length):Ø116-98mm
Weight:1.2kg
Heat generation:1.6kW

Frosty greetings...

Lars

Hey that's great! 3 years and I've never asked :oops:

I've always been of the opinion that when an engine's stone cold you don't want to increase revs unnecessarily, but Mr T disagrees. Looks like I'll be using it when the white stuff finally arrives.

Viscous Heater yes. Heat develops when the water (coolant) is forced around inside this small device. It has an electric clutch just like the A/C compressor, and increases the idle rpm as well when it kicks in. It does not kick in if the coolant temp is over a certain threshold (60 C ?), and it also disengages if you apply more than a certain percentage of throttle (was it 75 % ?).

The early models have a switch which stays on until switched off OR ignition is switched off. I.e: It's always off when you start.
The newer cars have a switch that stays on until you switch it off. So you can leave it on always, or all winter.
A diesel doesn't generate enough heat to keep it warm when the outdoor temp is low, which is bad for the engine. So this is required for cold climates (i.e. not for the UK ;) )

If you take off the Viscous Heater, or don't have one, it's a perfect place to put a belt-driven air-pump/compressor. There is a kit adapted for this location available on Flea somewhere.

The airpump / compressor you talk of... is this for driving diff lockers or as an overland thing for flat tyres etc?

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
The one on the 120 pumps the water over a heat exchanger on the exhaust manifold. Within about 500m you can feel warmer air .

Sent from my Desire HD using Tapatalk

Back