Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

power steering BJ42

erik spain

Country Flag
spain
hi all

somebody now where to get a power steering or recoment anything to get this car easy steering .

thanks erik
its a BJ42 1984

Hi Erik,

From your post I am not sure if the steering has just become heavy or it always has been and you have decided PS is the way to go.

If it has just become heavy it could be that the box needs lubricant or that the centre arm needs attention, for the latter rebuild kits are available.

However if you just want to go the PS route, you have several options -
The LX models of 84 had PS so you may be able to locate or buy new.
BJ42s are, I think, 12 volt so the electric PS from a Opel/Vauxhall could be fitted. Although I have never done this, I understand that the electrics are reasonably basic and am aware that this kit is used by the hotrod guys.

Whereabouts in Spain are you? We live in the Alpujarra.

Regards,

Rodger

stil in alicante area , your area is more south .

maybe i go for electric .

thanks

Yes we are inland from Almeria, on the south side of the Sierra Nevada.

Electric PS - I will ask @Dave2000 to explain this process if you wish.

Regards,

Rodger

i am on the coast , Moraira

yes every info is welcome
my BJ42 is 24 v but i think its no problem transformer to 12 v

regards

Hi Erik

I used this company to fit electric power steering to a left hand drive HJ45, I believe they have distributors through Europe, and I had mine supplied and fitted in the UK:

If you’re mechanically minded and have the time you could probably get the same result cheaper taking parts from other vehicles, or you could buy the kit from this company and fit yourself. I had it fitted about 4 years ago and have had no problems with it, my cars 24v but I believe they just took power from a single battery to this rather than take from the 24v supply, but I’m not certain.

Parry

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
yes i searched some on the web and think gonne fit myself a electric one .
there are loads on the scrapyards .
ezpowersteering i think is dutch .......like me so must be going to figger out to fit one . lol .

thanks anyway
regards

Excellent link Parry. Erik if you go to the link select make - Toyota and there is a full article re this kit and the fitting of same. They do a 24v kit as well.
If you decide to go via a second hand set up then I would suggest using a 24-12v dropper. Since Dave2000 converted the 12 v items on my truck via a dropper various problems I'd had for years vanished (also he did a load of sorting out the wiring as well) but then again Parry has not had problems running the 12v from one battery.

Regards

Rodger

yes i now this company .
ican make it myself to save lot af euros
easy to find one on scrapyard for 100 euro

Last edited by a moderator:
Back