Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Power steering hose replacement (low pressure)

nick_the_fish

Supporter
Country Flag
great_britain
Hello all,

In the process of changing all the rubber hoses which are now nearly 20 years old and looking a bit cracked. What sort of hose is the low pressure power steering hose? Is it the same sort of hose as fuel hose (obviously the diameter may be different)?

Also, what is view on changing the high pressure power steering hose? Is it the sort of thing that degrades over time and should be replaced, or should it last longer than 20 years??? Hard to tell the condition of it visually.

FYI - I'm just doing the last jobs on the truck so that we are ready to leave on our Pan-America/ world trip as soon as all this Covid craziness is over, so this hose replacement is in order to avoid potential problems while we're away, rather than general home maintenance.

Thanks in advance

N

Hello all,

In the process of changing all the rubber hoses which are now nearly 20 years old and looking a bit cracked. What sort of hose is the low pressure power steering hose? Is it the same sort of hose as fuel hose (obviously the diameter may be different)?

Also, what is view on changing the high pressure power steering hose? Is it the sort of thing that degrades over time and should be replaced, or should it last longer than 20 years??? Hard to tell the condition of it visually.

FYI - I'm just doing the last jobs on the truck so that we are ready to leave on our Pan-America/ world trip as soon as all this Covid craziness is over, so this hose replacement is in order to avoid potential problems while we're away, rather than general home maintenance.

Thanks in advance

N
IMO, hose that can withstand fuel (although I'm no chemist so I don't know the chemical composition of fuel or PS fluid) would be fine on the power steering, for the cost and what you are planning on doing I'd replace the lot and take some spares along just in case, or in your case.

:thumbup:

Last edited by a moderator:
Any hydraulic spares shop would be able to sell you suitable low pressure hose. Fuel hose would do if you can get the right size. I replaced mine with similar.

Back