Prado 1KZ-TE Starting and Idling Problems

jsbautista08 Dec 1, 2018

1. jsbautista08

jsbautista08 New Member I am in philippines

Map
    Haven’t had the chance to yet. I currently do not have the components necessary to run the test. Plus I had to cancel my trip to the auto shop due to work related reasons, so that’ll have to be rescheduled. What’s your opinion on my fuel pump? Is the SCV that part I encircled?

2. jsbautista08

Map
    On my way to my morning meeting I decided to do a little experiment. Going to the meeting venue involved a 40-60 mins drive through the highway and some traffic. I though I would try to drive with the transmission not on drive but on 3 and amazingly I had zero idling problems. As soon as I arrived at my destination and threw the transmission in reverse to park, there it goes again! Same case when I put it in drive, erratic idle again. The moment I put it in 3 the problem goes away! What gives??? Now I’m even more confused.

3. TONYCY11

TONYCY11 Well-Known Member I am in cyprus

Map
    Yes it is , the one with the electric connection plug that you circled .

4. jsbautista08

Map
    Ok scratch that. It was a fluke. Drove home and tried the same thing and unstable rough idle all over the place

5. Beau

Beau Well-Known Member I am in guyana

Map
    Worth checking main engine/battery earth wires. There's also a main one for the trans that earths at the oil filter bracket. Simple enough to check and won't cost you much!

StarCruiser likes this.
  6. jsbautista08

Map
    I checked my filter box this morning before leaving for work and everything seems tight except for 1 part and I’m unsure if there’s supposed to be something plugged into it. Please see photos below.

CA3A142B-077F-4194-938A-05824B8F13F0.jpeg 9381B93B-8536-4B5B-94A5-F7F3A607F2EB.jpeg 2F61AD6D-FA9D-427C-9D1B-BA638E593155.jpeg

7. TONYCY11

Map
    That's the bracket for the MAF sensor wiring loom that fits diagonally opposite on the 1KD-FTV engine that has not been cut out on your air box lid , the screw diagonal posts and round hole has not been cut out on your airbox lid so as to suit your engine .

8. jsbautista08

Map
    Apologies for being such noob! I haven't really had the chance to get to know my engine more. So to clarify, nothing should be plugged in there? And it doesn't cause an air leak?

And a little off topic, I see you're from CY. Ti kaneis re? Esy kala?

Last edited: Dec 6, 2018 at 5:03 AM
    TONYCY11 likes this.
  9. jsbautista08

Map
    By the way, does anyone know what a proper MAP sensor reading should be? Mine reads around 150-180 according to the scan tool. I've no idea if that is normal or low, mechanic thinks that it's a low reading. Don't fully trust the mechanic's opinion hence I ask over here :)

10. TONYCY11

Map
    Yes I am well , how are you , In your engine case nothing should be plugged in there , and as the holes don't go in through the lid it wont cause a air leak , I guess Toyota make one airbox for the two diesel 120s they sell in different parts of the world . to save on production costs , all 120s in europe use the IKD - FTV d4d engine and was first used in the 90 series in its last year of production in 2001 . and went from 161 bhp to 201 until it it was changed for the 2.8 engine in 2016.

Last edited: Dec 6, 2018 at 7:14 AM
  11. StarCruiser

StarCruiser Well-Known Member Supporter Guru I am in uk

Garage:
    Map
    No apologies necessary here Jay, every day’s a school day. I would have asked the same question in your circumstances.

jsbautista08 likes this.
  12. TONYCY11

Map
    I have just checked mine with a scanner at cold start at 795 rpm idle and it was 71 , 8 mile trip fully warmed at 700 rpm it was 70 both readings were at 20 centigrade temp . don't know what the figures was whilst driving as I just checked both when car was stopped at idle speed . Thats with 1KD -ftv engine .

Last edited: Dec 6, 2018 at 10:29 AM
  13. Beau

Beau Well-Known Member I am in guyana

Map
    OP, Do you have a 1KZ or 1KD engine? Cause I'm pretty sure the 1KZ doesn't have a map sensor located at the airbox? It does have one on the intake manifold which reads boost levels for the ECU. The 1KZ also has some sort of flow sensor in the intake stream which in my opinion doesn't really do much.

These 1KZ engines are also OB1 so I'm not sure you can even read individual components like you have. This is why I think you have a 1KD engine. A pic of your engine bay could confirm which engine you have.

14. TONYCY11

Map
    I am pretty sure its a 1KZ he has as it says it on the pic on the airbox and I can see in one pic in the background it is a 1kz cam cover where oil filler cap is , and its a MAF sensor the 1KZ does not have , it does have a MAP sensor , the same spec 120s are sold in Australia , 1KD did not sell in the 120s until sometime in 2006 in Australia . JSBs 120 is a 2006 reg so was made late 2005 to early 2oo6 and would probably be ob2 compliant but not 100% sure on that .Jsb car has nothing on his air box it is blank where the MAF sensor would be but its the same airbox as the 120 1KD if you look at the pics of the airbox no MAF sensor where one would be one the 1KD .

Last edited: Dec 6, 2018 at 4:38 PM
    StarCruiser likes this.
Don't like the adverts? Become a supporter