Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Prado KDJ120R vs KZJ120R

Andreas

Country Flag
norway
Hi,

I need some advice. I'm still looking for a Prado around from 2003 - 2007, with a manual gearbox and turbo diesel. At the moment I've found two options:

1. 2003 GXL TD KZJ120R (5 speed manual, 188 000 kms)
2. 2007 GX TD KDJ120R (6 speed manual, 237 000 kms)

The newer one is a bit more expensive and only a GX, but it comes with what I've understood is the D4D engine and 6 speed transmission. With less than 100KW I'd say you need every gear you can get, but how superior is the newer engine with 6 speed over the old work horse?

I test drove the 2003 it and was surprised at how smooth and quick it actually was, but I've only ever test driven a Land Cruiser V8 TD before - and the big V8 felt like a boat compared.

The KDJ (D-4D) engine has an intercooler too so has a bit more grunt. It also doesn't seem to have the same cooling issues the KZJ has, with head damage that is associated with it. I'd go with the D-4D if you are interested in reliability.

But it also depends in how well each has been maintained.

Regards

The KZJ120R Model has the 5 Speed Man Trans or 4 speed Auto Trans and 1KZTE Engine (old Diesel).

The KDJ120R Model has the 6 Speed Man Trans or 5 Speed Auto and 1KDFTV (3.0ltr common rail HCCI Engine)

Back