Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Prado vs Land Cruiser

Andreas

Country Flag
norway
This has probably been discussed over and over, but I'm looking at buying my first Land Cruiser. For a while I have been looking for a full size Land Cruiser GXL 105 series from around 2000, but there are so many Prados on the road down here in Australia that I would be stupid not to at least consider one of them. Price wise I can get one with far less kms and a younger age compared to the Land Cruiser, it's still got 8 seat capacity (GXL), a larger fuel tank, better fuel economy and more engine choices (correct me here).

I know the Prado is less hardcore offroad, I know it's meant to be more comfortable on-road but at the end of the day: should I still consider the Prado a top of the range 4WD like the full blown Cruiser, or is it a soft hearted 4WD that city slickers buy because they want a large SUV to take their kids to soccer practice? (I know the answer to that is no, but you get my point).

I want something I can take to Fraser Island, drive across the continent or take to the most northern tip of Australia if I want. The amount of room inside the car is not a worry, a Prado has plenty enough for us. I just need to know about the offroad capabilities.

Ours (pre-D4D 90 series diesel) has been been great in every way except I wish it had more power to tow the camper up big hills. The petrols have more power though. We've taken it (with camper in tow) right across the Savannah Way, onto 9 Mile Beach including the tricky dune to get there, done quite a few water crossings, visited all the 4wd only tracks in Kakadu... And I've driven it to work everyday for 2 years.

Last edited:
Thank you, that's the type of answer I was hoping for. Obviously a Prado will do us just fine, we don't even intend on pulling a camper around.

My budget will now get me a newer car with less kms on it. I'll primarily try to find a manual turbo diesel, but a decent petrol engine will also be fine. I find the 2003/2004 models very tempting!

Get a diesel Prado for the Outback

Thank you, that's the type of answer I was hoping for. Obviously a Prado will do us just fine, we don't even intend on pulling a camper around.

My budget will now get me a newer car with less kms on it. I'll primarily try to find a manual turbo diesel, but a decent petrol engine "

a diesel is better for serious outback and reliability. Especially in Aboriginal reserves.

a friend had trouble with his Prado front end steering and suspension and it was repaired and upgraded.

we have Old Man Emu shocks and soft springs with Air Bags at the rear and is fantastic. Over 200k and lots of corrugations like the Gunbarrell Highway and Cape York.

Last edited:
I'm not 100% sure on this but I remember reading a article about the Dakar rallies where I saw the prado's won the event, ahead of the latest 200 series. I would say they are both very capable machines and the only difference you're getting in the landcruisers are the more power and slightly bigger in size.

Logic would say you would be better off with a low mileage newer prado than a older higher mileage landcruiser, it all really depends on your needs. In 99.9% of cases the prado will follow the landcruiser anywhere it goes, and theres a reason these more prado's sold in Australia than actual landcruisers.

Back