Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Prado vs Normal 70

Hiluxonian

I'm thinking about buying a 2.4 manual prado 70 can anyone tell me if there are any differences between that and the domestic 70's please

I stand to be corrected but I think all 78s are imports, so no (or very few) few domestic or UK-spec 70s, certain in the LWB 78 series. So your prado will be the same as any UK ones, I'm pretty sure - it probably just has a garish big PRADO written down the side that makes it look different. :mrgreen:
I'm not aware of the SWB (73s?) being called Prados - I think these were the models that were brought in by Toyota in small numbers, called a Land Cruiser II. Again I would think these would be mechanically identical to imports but I am not too familiar with this model at all, so take my input with a pinch of salt.

Cheers,

from what ive seen the only differences are that the prado's are all 5 door, where as the LJ70's are all 3 door, and the prado's have the rear lights in the rear wings, where as the LJ70's have them in the bumper. :)

Thank you my main concern was some silly ifs set up like they did to some import hilux's. May well have a go for it got a crazy impulse to turn one into a pick up

The JDM 70's have EFI while the UK market ones are mechanical. This gives the JDM ones a few more horses but also complicates things with regards to wiring - the UK models have about 4 or 5 wires in the loom while the imports have more than 20 :shock:

Luckily, you won't find a 70 with IFS ;)

Andy was right, no 5 door 70's were ever introduced to the UK market, however a few hundred three door models made it in, more with the later 3.0l 1KZT engine. These are the LJ70/KZJ70. The JDM models are the 71 and 73 as three doors (the latter having the option of a removable roof), and 75 and 78 as 5 doors.

That you've found a manual is a minor miracle, I looked for months for one with difflocks and a manual box but in the end settled for an auto with a rear locker as the manuals are so rare. As it is though, I think the auto is on a par with a manual box and I would now have either. Both have good and bad points.

HTH :mrgreen:

Jim.

Thanks for the info after all that I've gone and bought another LJ70 swb may still have a go at the prado if I can put xmas off for another year

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
Hiluxonian said:
I'm thinking about buying a 2.4 manual prado 70 can anyone tell me if there are any differences between that and the domestic 70's please
I dont believe there is any difference, apart from the mirrors may be on the wings instead of the door, if its a 70 series and it has Prado on it, its an import from what I understand..

Martin.

Back