Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Problem with brake upgrade

LC80tim

Country Flag
england
20180613_111945.jpg
just upgraded the front discs and calipers to the larger ones as mine had the 286mm discs ( missed getting the lager ones by 2 on the chassis number lol ) anyway all fitted ok ( removed the dust shields ) came to put pads in and the pad material sits too far out by 5 or 6 mm, all parts fitted are new * calipers discs and pads *
Is there a different pad for the 310mm disc to the 286mm disc ? As think I’ve been sent the wrong pads.
I’ve had a nightmare with Milner’s having been sent all round new discs and pads, problem was one rear disc was ok and the other was right size ( 312mm ) but only 5 stud holes not 6, anyway quick contact and they sent replacement and guess what SAME problem so waiting for another replacement ( must be manufacturing fault they say as correct part numbers on box )

Last edited:
Hmm odd. I presume that the pads are short on the inner edge by the same amount. Sure the pads might be incorrect, but they seem to fit the caliper nicely. The disc is the disc, so that can't be wrong. However, my thoughts were that the bolting position on the old swivel might be different to the later ones. So, I looked up the part numbers.

Could be completely wrong, but the early swivels were 43211-60060 and the later swivels were 43211-60110 without ABS and 43211-60120 with ABS so there is a difference. Don't know if this has a bearing but just something to throw into the pot.

I've never done the disc upgrade myself and I've not heard of this happening. Maybe it has but people haven't noticed it.

Yes pads are short on inside area, calipers and discs fit spot on and couldn't move caliper any closer

20180613_112007.jpg 20180613_111957.jpg 20180613_111952.jpg

Last edited:
Well that is queer. Something deff not right.

Yes have seen some pads for sale for 90 / 92 and others from 93 / 98 so was guessing there might be 2 types with the pin holes further out ?

If Milners take them back, as they should, you might try Toyota. I bought genuine very cheap discs and pads a few years ago. It was like they were trying to get rid of them

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
I think you have the wrong discs there. The pads are the same on both types.

It looks like the caliper is to high which would suggest the disc is to small.

I have done this mod and was very straight forward

I think you have the wrong discs there. The pads are the same on both types.

It looks like the caliper is to high which would suggest the disc is to small.

I have done this mod and was very straight forward

But there is no room for a bigger disc, look at photo 1, the disc is 310mm so the right size, unless the calipers are incorrect but there’s no room for the pins to be further in.

What happens if you try one of the old Calipers on the new disc? If the disc is the right diameter then it seems like the caliper is too small... just wondering if you have ended up with early Calipers.

I was looking at this last night and I still think the same thought.

The brake pads could be from a 4runner, kzj or such... which have the similar spacings...... You've managed (or been supplied) to fit the incorrect set of brake pads! Correct discs and calipers I thinks so..

I was looking at this last night and I still think the same thought.

The brake pads could be from a 4runner, kzj or such... which have the similar spacings...... You've managed (or been supplied) to fit the incorrect set of brake pads! Correct discs and calipers I thinks so..

The pads came with the discs as a package from Milner’s, no box with pads just sellotaped together, the old Caliper won’t fit as disc too big

Tbh tim if they can forget to put a hole in one of the discs it wouldnt fill me with confidence to the rest of the kit. I know what its like, you doubt yourself as everything is new and must be right, but that isnt always the case. I was also thinking wrong pads but i think a call to milners is in order.

Last edited:
Yes a quick call to Milners will make everything crystal clear. The person picking up the phone will know the problem inside out, be very apologetic and deliver all the right parts instantly.

Well got it all sorted after being ignored by milners, ordered new pads from rough trax and fitted perfect, got money for pads refunded by milners after emailing them again.

20180704_092014.jpg

Glad you got it all sorted Tim.

How much of a difference did it make? Noticeable on hard braking? I'm sure if will help overheating on long descents. Might look at something like this myself at some point. Nice job

Glad you got it all sorted Tim.

How much of a difference did it make? Noticeable on hard braking? I'm sure if will help overheating on long descents. Might look at something like this myself at some point. Nice job

Only just fitted them ( new pads ) not really used it since problems knowing brakes was not correct, did this because being a auto needed better brakes on decent ( even though I use gears to slow it ) have had bad brake fade with old brakes, will let pads bed in then give them a test, no abs so will just lock up I presume lol

What was the difference in the pads please?

I have fitted both 80 and 95 pads to each other before and they are identical to each other

Just ordered ones for the 80, the difference was how far the pad material was from the mounting holes, looks like they were for surf by part numbers

Back