Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Project 80: Codename Grey Ghost

Some markets evidently escaped without the EGR system but did all markets get the intake heater or is it only those destined for cold climates, who also got the 24 volt changeover starting setup?

Ive often thought about changing the cross over pipe for a cleaner egr removal look. Now that you tell me the inlet manifold will need changing ive lost a little interest.. the cost will have gone up considerable too.

Actually that comment about the manifold might not be entirely true, but I'll check at the first opportunity. If anything there may be a few tappings for vac pipes etc but I bet the manifold is fundamentally the same.
When I get time I'll compare part numbers on Toyodiy.

Nope.

Meanwhile back on my build thread .......:icon-cry:

Some markets evidently escaped without the EGR system but did all markets get the intake heater or is it only those destined for cold climates, who also got the 24 volt changeover starting setup?
Good question tp, some say its also for emissions. So warmer climes might have it as well, im pretty sure the aus spec trucks have it.. will look into it.

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
I know it does. I'm as guilty as anyone else. But this is quite a tangent.

my AU 1hd-ft had the heater, and no EGR. Removed the heater when I fitted a top mount intercooler. Only benefit I could see having it there was to catch turbo bits if it let go, and now the top mount covers that :)

my AU 1hd-ft had the heater, and no EGR. Removed the heater when I fitted a top mount intercooler. Only benefit I could see having it there was to catch turbo bits if it let go, and now the top mount covers that :)

Now that you said that ... I'm leving mine in place.

Great looking 80 Chris, I presume all the rust problems are from salting the roads? are you going to eventually do something to treat it?

It's not particularly rusty Stuart. What is there is because it's 20 years old I guess. Morocco didn't do it any favours though.

Probably pretty dry where you are and no need for salt, eh. I am looking at some treatment yes, just to keep it in good nick really rather than cure any major issues.

Last edited:
Have you thought about an oil catch tank Chris?
Used to fit them on the diesels I had, kept the intake cleaner, have no egrs either.

Got one to go on mine at some point.

I fitted one from a Vauxhall Vectra (I think) and it works very well. It's basically just a small airbox filled with gauze which fits neatly in-between the tappet cover and the air filter housing.

I have on previous ones but given that I only found this at the weekend, no. I'm quick but not that fast.

Quick update. Driver's seat back from the upholsterer today. £45 for a rebuild........
Hello Chris. I know this was a while ago, but where did you get the seat rebuild done?

A place in Chesterfield Bert. Operates out of a unit near Tupton. Wouldn't say he was brilliant but seemed ok for something like this. Wouldn't take him a seat from a classic DB5 or anything.

A place in Chesterfield Bert. Operates out of a unit near Tupton. Wouldn't say he was brilliant but seemed ok for something like this. Wouldn't take him a seat from a classic DB5 or anything.
Cheers Chris. My mates wife's dad (no dog involved!) runs a reupholstering business and can refurb and rebuild my seats, but the only drawback is that he is based in Poland. He can rebuild the bolsters on the front seats, and re cover both front and rear seats in a material of my choice for about £600.00 Naturally, this part of the project is 'on hold' until I get other (more important mechanical) bits done. Does this sound steep to you? Apparently, he is a bit of a master at it and re-builds classics regularly......

I paid £45

I just had a re build not a re upholster

Then came the heat exchanger install. This began with mounting the pump in line with the supply from the block.

View attachment 26613

Then coupling up to the heater valve.

View attachment 26615

Then I was ready for a water test. Now the engine only ran for a few minutes but the pipes were hot. The Kenlowe pump is quiet and certainly does push the water round. You can see the effect when you look in the rad. Handy for bleeding the system!

Also the volume of water I pumped through the exchanger was too much with an open pipe and it passed through the unit too quickly. The tank lasted like a minute. But it was luke warm. I shall get all they secured and go again but I need some 90 degree elbows.

View attachment 26617

That's the end of that chapter. Time for tea and onto the brakes[/QUOTE]

Hi Chris :)

Surprise surprise i'm still glued to the ghost thread.
Can you remember the hose sizes you used for the heater bypass/ heat exchanger ?
I wanna put in the "tee" the same time as bypassing the rear heater to save doing it twice.

Back