Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Project 80: Codename Grey Ghost

I bags NOT having to ever borrow it from Chris :)

Looks like a bought one though ;)

Thanks Gary!

I hope not to have to lend it to anyone too. But it's there if we need it. I do quite a few puncture repairs during the pay and play weekends for folks. Breaking beads to clean crap out and reseat is even more common. People don't need to air down but they can't help themselves. Then the tyre comes off the rim.

And if it's nice and warm and the dune sand is loose we'll be running down at about 1bar as well and debeading is common then. Used to use a scuba cylinder to pop tyres back on quick via the HP outlet but 232bar at 12litres won't last us long ;)

Don't worry Gary, my set up pops tyres back on every time. 2 gallons at 150 psi with no valve core in hasn't failed yet

Well I may be over prepared but rather that then be stuck like a tw@t for the sake of something simple.

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
No arguments from me on that score. Just hope I don't need the help :)

A question that mankind has wrestled with since the dawn of time is ....

Where should I store my tyre levers.

Well ponder no more citizens of Planet Earth, they go here ..

Screen Shot 2015-09-10 at 20.42.21.jpg

Picture is a bit dark, because it's night. I made some sort of slot bracket holder things out of plastic which the bars actually clip into. I slotted them but made the entry waisted so that there was a pinch. Then fitted some simple straps on the outside. They don't rattle or move about. There's more work to refine them I think, but they are.

Well for those of you that have been following my escapades, you may remember that I have had transfer box tribulations. I put a replacement box in at the same time my prop came apart and I struggled to get the right phasing detail until luck saw it right again. On the way down through Spain I developed some very unpleasant noises and for a while had visions of my car sitting stranded in the dunes. But it made it there and back.

I decided to put another box in and on Weds the illustrious Mr Lomas not only got me a new box but spent a considerable amount of time sorting through a heap of them at 80breaker finding the best one there. A mahoosive thanks to Andy L for that. It's what they call a solid. I am in your debt Sir. So this morning by 09.00 the drive looked like this

Screen Shot 2015-10-31 at 16.15.26.jpg

The petrol auto transfer box is different in a few respects not least that there is no PTO provision.

Box now on the bench awaiting a convenient moment to open it up for a look-see.

Screen Shot 2015-10-31 at 16.15.38.jpg

All connected back up, props on etc. Man alive was it heavy. I have done this job on my own quite a few times but this was on the limit today. Not only am I older but I discovered that it hadn't been drained so the extra 3kg of oil in there tipped the balance. Once in, I tried the fill plug (schoolboy error) only to find it seized like a bugger. I mean no way. I tried to weld a nut on three time which twisted off but then with the heat, I got a good strike with a chisel and it was out, oil drained (looked pretty good actually) and refilled with new.

The actuator works and the box locks but there's no light on the dash. No probleemo, swapped the detent sensor for the one from the old box and .... still no light. It's not the bulb as the front and rear lockers won't fire so it has to be the switch. That's one for tomorrow.

So what's it like to drive?

Bloody lovely. It's quiet and there's barely any noise at all on the over run when I let off at speed. I am as happy as a happy person on St Happy's day in Happy Land. OK it's early days and I need a motorway test and so on, but for now it's super. The manual box though still makes some loose lorry gearbox type noises. It's a bit 'lashy' but I might try some different oils in there.

Now I don't know if the petrol T box has different ratios in there but the truck seems to go like a bomb off the mark. It launches itself down the road, it really does. I shall re calibrate the speedo tonight when I am out and just see what the revs do in relation to speed. The speedo drive is different I know, but I am wondering about the gearing too.

So, roll on tomorrow. More jobs to do.

Il keep my fingers crossed for you Chris, i hope its a good one once your up to motorway speeds. do you know roughly what has gone on the other transfer box?

Cheers Joe. Unfortunately it's not all good news. At higher speeds it's still terrible, but pretty sure this is something in the gearbox. The new T box is exceptional as far as I can tell. It feels like I have had another turbo fitted. It goes like a bomb! Very smooth. When Gary and I were crossing Spain, the truck just seemed reluctant to get up to 70. It would but it felt as though something was holding it back. I hit 70 last night in record time and it wanted to keep going. Very strange. But at 70 if I eased off the throttle the clattering was dreadful. Like a big box of cogs being emptied into a washing machine. It's actually quite alarming. It may go for another 100k miles but I can't have a car that can't cruise in comfort at 70.

Looks like the box will have to come out. Again.

Oh not so good then. on the plus side, at least the bolts will come out easier. and im sure your a pro whipping these in and out by now.

Actually Joe, T box removal is pretty easy. The only tricksy bit really is the little lever that throws the low range gears. Very limit room with big paws, but other than that it's not a hard job. Heavy, but pretty much one socket.

Just spotted a very nice, slightly familiar 80 inbetween the covers of December's TOR...

So I hear Jim. Amazing that there'd be two such similar vehicles isn't it .....

What a freakin' fantastic write up!. Ok some of it's actually not quite factually correct. I didn't buy it from a bloke in Lincs, Andy did and I bought it from him. I also didn't make all of the bumper either. But what the heck. I'm still giggling. I thought there might just be a couple of pics, but there's 4 pages!

All it needed at the end was the price in the screen.

Err, not.

Nice one Chris. :thumbup:

Would be great if some one could scan the pages and post the pics here so people like me who no longer get to read TOR could see the article. :pray:

Told you it was a good article Chris :clap:

Ben I can scan at work on Monday mate if no one else has a scanner at home?

You did. I think it's a bit over the top, but the guy clearly seems to like Cruisers. Can't be bad.

Back