Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Project 80: Codename Grey Ghost

Thanks fella. Not quite sure what the saggy seat bit is, can you point to it or refresh my memory? It's been a 2 year + build

Added a Flatdog under bonnet lighting kit today. Been in the box a year. Extremely bright at night. No more holding a torch in my teeth.

Screen Shot 2016-05-07 at 17.30.15.jpg

Really Stu I mean REALLY
ha ha

how you doing editing that footage of Sallizberry plain then

ha ha ha ha ha

AC all working fine through the Morocco trip, lovely and cold. But recently I saw some green leaking from the pipes on the top of the pump. The damn bolts weren't even finger tight. No idea how that happened.

Anyway, found a local chap today who tested the system, checked for leaks and spent some time going over the whole set up before refilling pressurising it. All seems good again. Freezing cold and no leaks detected. Bolts now thread locked into the pump. There was still pressure in there. It wasn't the seals that had gone, the pipe connections had actually come loose.

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
Well that's the Lomas Mk 1 gearbox back in and running. Crap I hate swapping 80 gearboxes but pretty good at it now. Well it's smoother and quieter without so many of the worrying noises. Well less noise full stop but now I think it's time to hit the soundproofing shop. It's just lacking a bit of acoustic dampening I think. Managed to trap the speedo sensor cable in the companion flange. Speedo went nuts then died. Quick solder later and all was good. Also managed to fit my new gadget to monitor the batteries. You can set it to show one or both batteries, high and low level alarms plus auto dimming with headlights

Looks nicer for a wipe over. Bits from drilling stuck to it.

Screen Shot 2016-06-26 at 17.11.22.jpg

I just got fed up of having to take the glass out every time I wanted to out the shopping away :cry:

No I didn't make them, Starcruiser did and he has them for sale. Just spent 3 weeks in the truck and blessed his name every time I opened them. They're just the Mutt's.

Well amazingly we're on page 64 of this build, but truly there isn't much more I'd really do to it now. With the diff back in (see dedicated thread on that debarcle) it's running beautifully now. But there's always time for one last edition.

I bought some sound deadening in Finland which was self adhesive lead. I don't know what it's made of but it's really heavy. So I stuck that on this morning followed by some self adhesive thermal material that I picked up at AO 16 last weekend. That helped to stick it all together. The difference was noticeable immediately. The car has a more 'dead' feel inside and the noise levels around the tunnel have decreased considerably. Couple that to the rebuilt diff and it's one quiet, much cooler place to be.

Screen Shot 2016-10-02 at 17.25.10.jpg

I had enough to do both sides so the passenger can share the same cool footwell effect. The carpet went back over OK. Bit tight but not too bad. Next time I take the gear lever tray off, I will put some under there too.

It's good when a project feels finished.

That's on my to do list, Trans tunnel gets rather warm especially off road/slow speeds. Need to dull the exhaust drone at speed too.

Material was £10 sq M Gary. Very sticky and very conformable too. Certainly had the effect I wanted.

Extra sound deadening is always welcome but I'm just curious about the excess heat in the footwells and where it's coming from? Can't say I've really noticed any although I've never done any long overland trips in 35deg+ heat.

It's odd TP. Sometimes it's hot and sometimes it's not. I've been in Morocco where I've not had an issue then driven to somewhere in the UK and been boiling. I don't know. But now it's cooler than it's been before even when it's not excessively hot. Hmm, that made sense in my head.

Can't say if it's the manual box or the transfer box, but it does get pretty warm on your ankle

The tunnel and centre console gets quite warm on mine, the cup holder in front of the armrest is great to keep your coffee warm! Your left leg gets warm and the ac gets a workout in hot weather and low speeds.

I've got a load of dynamat and not a lot of time lol.

Been a long time since I updated this thread. That's for sure.

Noticed a weeping from the rocker cover gasket recently so decided to replace it. Got a gasket from Roughtrax.

Not really a difficult thing to do but ended up taking me all morning. There's really only one sod of a bolt and that's the one in the cover against the bulkhead. What a stupid place to put a lone bolt. Other than that it's all very easy.

Cover itself was pretty clean inside.

Screen Shot 2017-01-07 at 18.35.35.jpg

Timing gear looked fine, no scoring or anything. I didn't check the clearances based on the fact that it drives perfectly well thanks.

Screen Shot 2017-01-07 at 18.35.07.jpg

Then I got to the inlet mandyfold. Yuk. it was utterly caked and looked like the inside of my arteries. Thanks to that, I now need to change the fluid in my wash bath. It was honestly like a smoker's lung. The middle of the intake was seriously compromised in relation to diameter.

Screen Shot 2017-01-07 at 18.35.44.jpg

Whilst I was at it, I cleaned off the turbo pipe too. Pretty messy.
Screen Shot 2017-01-07 at 18.35.54.jpg

Then whilst I was in there, I had a look at the heater element. Hmm, as it's not wired up, I couldn't see any point in it being in there, so I junked it. I put the plastic surround back in because it fills the cavities and irregularities in the spacer block. IN terms of getting air into the engine with as little restriction as possible, this thing really makes no sense.
Screen Shot 2017-01-07 at 18.36.01.jpg

Screen Shot 2017-01-07 at 18.36.07.jpg

And the result?

Whoof!!!!! What an immediate difference. More torque, free revving and zero smoke when I gun it. It does, I think though, sound slightly louder inside when I'm driving. Might just be me. But it breathes so much better. Under the bonnet when revved it feels so much smoother.

Have a look in yours. You might be surprised.

Is that black stuff on the inlet gunk?

Pic 3 looks like an un-swept chimney. It was thick like tar. Filthy stuff

Wow! Wonder what mine looks like. Still need to fit my catch can.

Back