Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Project 'red van' (says the 4 year old) build thread

Few photos from this evenings adventures... Can anyone say rust?

And who uses 13amp flex on car wiring??

received_2236879096381343.jpeg
fortunately this turned up and several boxes from Milners and roughtrax.

More adventures in the world of rot last night! Plenty of welding to do!

IMG_20190704_202757.jpg IMG_20190704_202741.jpg IMG_20190704_202724.jpg IMG_20190704_202712.jpg IMG_20190704_202709.jpg IMG_20190704_202701.jpg IMG_20190704_202654.jpg IMG_20190704_202651.jpg IMG_20190704_200942.jpg IMG_20190704_200937.jpg IMG_20190704_200929.jpg IMG_20190704_200907.jpg IMG_20190704_200859.jpg IMG_20190704_200818.jpg

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
Pity there’s no ‘don’t like’ button. How can anyone ‘like’ such a depressing sight:icon-cry:
Heaps of respect tackling this one, you’ll need loads of stamina and bucket loads of tea... :thumbup:

Pity there’s no ‘don’t like’ button. How can anyone ‘like’ such a depressing sight:icon-cry:
Heaps of respect tackling this one, you’ll need loads of stamina and bucket loads of tea... :thumbup:
Thanks Clive! I'm extremely lucky to have a great and gifted welder and fabricator in our extended family.. He'll be getting heaps of tea, cider and pizza! Plenty of photos of the rebuild to come!

Like many others, I've loads of tee shirts chasing rust around old vehicles.

The worst one I tackled years ago, was an MGB GT which looked a beauty on the outside, but rotten as a pear underneath. I pulled the front wings off just using my hands, and most of the rest of the 'chassis' came with it as dust.

What a nightmare. At least you seem to have some steel to weld to, unlike my MG...

Like many others, I've loads of tee shirts chasing rust around old vehicles.

The worst one I tackled years ago, was an MGB GT which looked a beauty on the outside, but rotten as a pear underneath. I pulled the front wings off just using my hands, and most of the rest of the 'chassis' came with it as dust.

What a nightmare. At least you seem to have some steel to weld to, unlike my MG...

Sounds familiar! I had a very similar Fiat 131 Mira Furi and a Lancia Delta Integrale with a firewall made of compost.

Sounds familiar! I had a very similar Fiat 131 Mira Furi and a Lancia Delta Integrale with a firewall made of compost.

Sorry for the threadjack, but these horror stories are only intended to boost your morale :lol:

I worked on an old Alfa Romeo (Junior GT IIRC) trying to patch the engine mount chassis rails, and try as I might (using gas weld in those days) I couldn't get flow on the weld. It turned out that the chassis boxes were foam filled, a trick Alpha used to get away with using thinner steel... to stop the boxes collapsing under load.

I think it was all to do with collapsible zones in those days, trying to make bad driving safer for the occupants. :think: :?

Sorry for the threadjack, but these horror stories are only intended to boost your morale :lol:

I worked on an old Alfa Romeo (Junior GT IIRC) trying to patch the engine mount chassis rails, and try as I might (using gas weld in those days) I couldn't get flow on the weld. It turned out that the chassis boxes were foam filled, a trick Alpha used to get away with using thinner steel... to stop the boxes collapsing under load.

I think it was all to do with collapsible zones in those days, trying to make bad driving safer for the occupants. :think: :?

Gotta love Alfa! I have a Guilia Veloce as the daily driver now :)

Bit more stripping down this evening.... guess what... MORE ROT!

IMG_20190705_201236.jpg IMG_20190705_200140.jpg IMG_20190705_200129.jpg IMG_20190705_191442.jpg IMG_20190705_191436.jpg IMG_20190705_191431.jpg

Oh and had to post this.... guess where I found these!!!!!!! Prize for the closest answer.

IMG_20190705_191903.jpg

Stuffed inside the rear cavity’s above the body mounts. Bloody stupid idea by Toyota!

I'm not sure if i should envy your ability to put it right or to pity you :crazy:

Bravo for doing it but i got to wonder if it wouldn't have been more cost and time effective to buy a better truck in the first place .

I'm not sure if i should envy your ability to put it right or to pity you :crazy:

Bravo for doing it but i got to wonder if it wouldn't have been more cost and time effective to buy a better truck in the first place .

You are more than likely right... But... I needed a project and this particular truck has a bit of a place in my heart... Although I'm not 100% sure why!

Binning it has crossed my mind... But I'm a bit invested now.

Yeah i get it , i got a d4d 90 that could very easily be made to look new but its just a car , the 1kz on the other hand has been knocked about and battered but its my black beast and it makes me smile every single time i drive it .

To make one exemplary from the two is never far from my mind but i have enough unfinished business to even think about actually doing it .

Yeah i get it , i got a d4d 90 that could very easily be made to look new but its just a car , the 1kz on the other hand has been knocked about and battered but its my black beast and it makes me smile every single time i drive it .

To make one exemplary from the two is never far from my mind but i have enough unfinished business to even think about actually doing it .

There are some vehicles that become more than machines... They become family... Part of us and we just can't let them go. I think its something about being a 'man'... The need to fix and manipulate things into something that is 'ours'.

Back