Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

pumpkin

chapel gate

Supporter
Promoted Company
Country Flag
england
Making a pumpkin with little man.
just how much of this orange stuff do i scrape out? Dont want to weaken the structure too much, equally, dont want it to go moldy.
over thinking this?:)

I normally just scrape all the loose seeds and pulp out until you hit the harder outer shell.

then its marking out and cut whatever pattern needed. i know friends and family who go right into it and carve out witches etc.

I normally just scrape all the loose seeds and pulp out until you hit the harder outer shell.

then its marking out and cut whatever pattern needed. i know friends and family who go right into it and carve out witches etc.
I have no imagination so I always go for the Snaggerly teeth and not quite centred eyes..

I use a white board marker to get the best design first, take the top off but use a thin knife to cut in at a 45 degree angle so the lid doesn't fall in! Put a cereal bowl on the top to get a template to cut around.Then I use an ice cream scoop to get the insides out. Don't cut the design first though as scraping the inside tends to snag on the slits etc. It's really only at the front where you need to be a bit careful about how much you want to remove. If it's really thick then an intricate design tend not to show up with the candle. If it's a really chunky design then leave more flesh in the pumpkin to support it.

I tend to take out quite a lot of material from the side i'm going to carve because it makes carving intricate shapes much easier with a thinner wall. If you go really thin you can also get some nice lighting although i've never really got this to work very well.

I scape first, then first rough cut, then second detailed cut.

over thinking this?:)

Yep definitely, but that's not a bad thing

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
i can see theres a few pumpkin veterans amongst us..
I kept it old school, simple, thick and chunky..
word of the day; snaggerly. :)
I don't think its in the dictionary.. Could not think of another word at the time. I used the word 'Per doyng ness' once when describing an over stiff leaf spring. Don't think that's in the dictionary either.:lol:

Back