Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Purchases from Europe

yup, far more interesting than french ham and stinking cheese. we have for a long time made an effort to buy food as locally produced as possible for obvious reasons.
i was chatting with the village shop owner last night. no supply problems whatsoever, and if at all, price rises have been a matter of pence.

I grew up on a mixed farm....
We had a dairy herd and the milk went to a dairy 4 miles away ,
We had a beef herd of single suckler grass fed local breeds .....and a slaughter house on the next farm ,
We grew wheat that went to a local mill and barley that fed the cattle on the farm,
All those pushing an agenda and demanding a plant based diet for the "environment " ignore the one thing that matters.... Food Miles !
Eat local and eat seasonal .... and you need never eat some tasteless vegetable that has been grown in water and not soil under artificial light ... need never eat a piece of beef from some poor unfortunate cow that was transported 100's of miles , stressed and hungry before being slaughtered ...
Instead for a few tens of pence more you could have locally grown and produced food from people who care about their product .... and take a few quid out the pockets of the supermarkets that are responsible for driving the quality of food down ...... and it will taste so much better .

How will it cost more when it cuts out all the intermediaries who take their cut for no reason at all , farmers could double their profits while lowering on the shelf prices if they could remove the executive who has no idea who pays him for what .

I'm well out of date with prices but whats a lamb worth to a farmer £30 maybe and closer to £300 on the shelf :think: i never met a super rich butcher .

Last edited:
For sure a lot of French and German and Spanish border and institutions are being as awkward as they can .... using Corona as an excuse and to hide behind...
Brexit : Lets take control of our own borders , regain sovereignty .It's our country we can decide who comes in and on what terms.

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
If it helps, I just purchased a part for my LC from an Italian Ebay seller. The package had customs documentation on it. I did not pay any additional charges, and the part arrived reasonably quickly.

If it helps, I just purchased a part for my LC from an Italian Ebay seller. The package had customs documentation on it. I did not pay any additional charges, and the part arrived reasonably quickly.
Did you pay vat at customs and with the seller?

So far waiting two weeks for “customs” to do there thing on some parts from Germany.

Did you pay vat at customs and with the seller?
On checking, I paid 20% VAT to Ebay - nothing else
"According to the UK 2021 VAT e-commerce package, we will collect and remit VAT where eBay is deemed supplier"

Brexit : Lets take control of our own borders , regain sovereignty .It's our country we can decide who comes in and on what terms.
But the issue is all the terms have been met and the correct paperwork filed .... it is childish behaviour by the EU to delay hauliers and goods just because they can....
much like the truly childish temper tantrum over Covid vaccine and a threat to introduce a land border in Ireland ....

Neither side will benefit from the belligerent attitude currently being displayed by some EU members ....trade works both ways .

The shoe is on the other foot , they do need us more than we need them . Call it how you like but there is no escaping Britain is the second wealthiest country in Europe's sphere and the rhetorical claptrap is simply an effort to disguise the fact .

I particularly like the fish import threats "must come from class A waters or be processed here in the UK" that's brilliant , personally i'd declare all British waters class B bringing 10's of thousands of jobs home and ensuring end product prices are paid into the UK instead of the bog basic rate our fishermen get (like the farmer and his lamb) .

I never familiarized myself with the rules of football but i think i'm correct i saying its like giving away a penalty (short term) to ensure a hat-trick of home goals win (longterm) , you couldn't make it up :laughing-rolling:

Who really cares about a couple of weeks delay anyway when the experts said we would all be struck dead by lightening or something similar if we dared to leave the club .

Good luck with that.The UK imports about 50 % of it's veg &about 75 % of it's fruit. But i agree with the principle. Buy locally if you can .
We always buy our fruit and Veg from Local farm shops..... Because the fruit and Veg in supermarkets is Shit.... Irrespective of where it comes from...:thumbup:

Risk of thread drift but....
We need to sort out the food and product labelling and how things can be called British just because they were finally processed here....
Buy Aussie wine....brilliant picture this morning sent by a mate...."Buy Aussie wine help fight Communism "
Veg grown locally and in season will always taste better than out of season veg shipped halfway round the globe.... we need to take a lesson from our French neighbours and begin to understand the meaning of the word and ethos of "Terroir" the benefit in taste when applied to food is huge

Come on Greta do something useful for a change never mind nationalism lets have Greenpeace fighting for a global food mileage label :lol:

I have had a couple of things from Belgium and Germany. Did end up paying vat(customs actually), but overall no more than I would have buying from a local place.

Effectively the process is about the same as buying from the USA or Canada.

I just bought a small display box for some badges of mine from Arcadia, California, United States, delivered this morning, no extra charges at all, I think a lot depends on whose hands these parcels pass through at customs.

Yeah. The commercial value declared has an impact as well and what the courier declares

your PM made a career in journalism based on lying about and mocking other European countries & the EU , not to mention the bile poured out by some newspapers and Farrage & co. So what do you expect ? Getting messed about at borders or whilst dealing with officaldom is the norm for a lot of folks considered " the other " by our societies. The idea that this is some policy agreed at UE level is laughable , they can't even agree on the important stuff. It's going to take some time for things to settle down but it's becoming cleat that your government has given little thought to this .

Back