Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Purchases from Europe

Trade deal with Australia and with S Africa will be brilliant for LC owners ... few EU company's make stuff to suit LC's that is anything like as good as the ozzy stuff .

3rd country duty on car parts is generally 4%. That's all you're going to save if theres a trade deal with those countries. You'll still pay VAT on the product, and the shipping cost.

On checking, I paid 20% VAT to Ebay - nothing else
"According to the UK 2021 VAT e-commerce package, we will collect and remit VAT where eBay is deemed supplier"

Ebay will collect the VAT on behalf of HMRC for goods worth less than £135 coming from the EU. Above that and the buyer will be reponsible.

The big problem with ordering anything from Europe at the moment is transport.

VAT, customs and admin fees are a given.

Import duty: f the thing you bought (or part of it) was manufactured outside the EU you'll pay import duty as you would from say the USA or Japan.

VAT: If it's less than £135 you pay UK VAT when you pay for it. The European seller then sends this to HMRC. If it's over £135 you pay no VAT on purchase but pay it when it crosses the border.

In theory you shouldn't pay VAT twice but who knows. I haven't heard of it happening yet, but that doesn't mean it hasn't.

Transport:

Road transport is messed up. If it's coming by lorry expect it to be delayed and cost significantly more.
If it's coming by air there may be less of a delay, but it will still be delayed.

Some websites (Autodoc for instance) are still charging a flat rate for delivery but parcels are delayed by approx ten days.

I ordered a glow plug relay on the 25th January. Normal delivery for Autodoc (Germany) is 4 days. Relay delivered yesterday. 15 days.

I used to regularly get parts from France delivered next day. I haven't tried yet but I'm expecting those days are over.

Next day delivery from England to the Isle of Man is typically 3 days and of late more ike 3 weeks , theres a bit of a flu going around see .

Yes Shayne.

Pretty sure the OPs question referred to Brexit. It's possible that some delays are down to Covid, we'll only know the true extent of the impact Brexit once things return to normal with the virus.

However, it might be worth noting that Rosslare to Fishguard and Pembroke Dock traffic is down 49% on last January, while Rosslare to France is up 446%. Those figures aren't the result of Covid.

Meanwhile:

"The Brexit mess has predictably been causing more than a few headaches. We suspended GB orders last week but we can now invoice & ship correctly.

The new rules mean that we charge 20% VAT on behalf of HMRC on all orders where the total value of parts doesn't exceed the equivalent of £135.
Beyond this amount, there is no VAT when ordering but the client will pay VAT in the UK.
In theory, there is no customs duty to be paid of parts with EU origin. However, the vast majority of parts (genuine & aftermarket) originate from outside the EU so in theory duty will have to be paid in the UK.

DHL & Chronopost are able to deliver to the UK
K&N '(our freight partner for palette shipping etc) will no longer deliver to B2C clients"

This from an email from the guys in France I buy from.

DHL Express was next day. I haven't used it since Jan 1st so have no idea whether it still is. When I use it next I'll feedback.

Ordered a gasket set from Holland on Thursday and it arrived on Tuesday, didn’t pay tax like I normally do and nothing to pay here came ups , go figure

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
The new rules mean that we charge 20% VAT on behalf of HMRC on all orders where the total value of parts doesn't exceed the equivalent of £135.
Beyond this amount, there is no VAT when ordering but the client will pay VAT in the UK.

Thanks, and this is the problem. Online retailers from Europe haven't got their heads around the vat thing yet. Being told I have to pay vat on an item at time of purchase (item I wanted to buy is >1k). But then HMRC would have applied 20 at import too.

I found an intermediary to make my purchase through. Just got to wait the 5 weeks for delivery now......

Seems apart from parcels being a little slower parts from Holland are coming over with no change and no extra charges...latest delivery turned up and all was good .
My supplier filled in a "little form" and that was all he had to do .

A member on here bought something from Roumania, reduced from £165 to £135, the threshold.
This was thought to be a reduction in price to get around all this nonsense.
Not so, no indication was made of any further charges, but a few weeks later, a bill for £50+ from hrmc arrives.
WTF ? They make it up as they go along.

Could that have been because Postage charges were added or was it free post?

I believe that was free post Chas, as I ordered the same thing pre Brexit, and paid the advertised £165, with no additions.

Beginning of January I bought four tyres off 123tyres.co.uk

I had the foresight to check they were in stock in the UK. they were delivered next day. Inside 24 hours.

Ordered another from them, same spec, on March 1st. Forgot to check it was in stock so predictably its coming from Germany.

After a number of emails saying it was delayed I rang yesterday to find out when I could expect it.

Girl on the end of the line was absolutely miserable. She sounded close to tears.

The tyre I ordered wasn't stuck on the road somewhere or in a lorry park in Kent or in Calais or Rotterdam. Nine days after ordering it had yet to leave the warehouse.

There is a shortage of hauliers who are prepared to transport stock into the UK and many are refusing mixed loads.

News this morning, exports into EU from UK down %40 and imports down 29%.

Not looking good.

Jan 2020 to Jan 2021
Exports from UK to Germany down 30%.
Imports from Germany to UK down 55%.

The "they need us more than we need them", argument seems to be falling on deaf ears.

I think the Germans and the EU in general, are not looking West but to the East for growth - their trade numbers with China have been growing steadily and are on the up.

I think it is more a rebalancing, than a shift. For the last few centuries, the West held the balance of power in the world. The East is simply catching up.

I'm sure things will yoyo back and forth but not to the degree we have seen in the past.

Climate change (assuming such a thing exists) and its effects, maybe the ultimate deciding factor but perhaps not in my/our lifetime.

Beyond the normal delays caused by Covid and what's often a lack of supply due to factory's being short staffed so reduced production things seem to be working as normal in the Ag and Plant supply world .....
I've ordered parts from SA and the only delay is in manufacture and parts from AUS turn up surprisingly quickly ....
The EU is in a huge state of disarray over Covid and it's affects and talking with friends who live in and work for large european companies this is having a bigger affect than any increase in border controls .... both CNH and JCB are having supply issues due to outsourced manufacture and not export or import problems

Just got off the phone with supplier. Tyre arrived in UK ten days ago. It was held at customs then turned around because the paperwork wasnt correct. It arrived back at the warehouse in Germany today after 35 days. Order cancelled.

I'm fuming.

Quite happy to wait 18 months before speaking my mind on Brexit, because in a year and a half there will be no hiding behind covid.

The tyre I ordered on March 1st, coming from Germany, has still not arrived. 35 days and counting.

This appeared in my news feed this morning. Makes for grim reading.

I ordered some parts from Holland recently,
Just got off the phone with supplier. Tyre arrived in UK ten days ago. It was held at customs then turned around because the paperwork wasnt correct. It arrived back at the warehouse in Germany today after 35 days. Order cancelled.

I'm fuming.

Quite happy to wait 18 months before speaking my mind on Brexit, because in a year and a half there will be no hiding behind covid.
hmm, if people cant/are unwilling to fill in the paper work correctly. that is there own issue, and unfortunately in this case becomes yours too.
i recently ordered 27kg of parts from holland. i sorted out my own courier, they picked the two packages up on monday afternoon, i received them on the tuesday.

the paper work is easy and takes about 10 mins.

yes, i appreciate its not as easy as having not to do any.. :)

Back