Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Putting a switch on 96 ABS

Ace-lux

Country Flag
great_britain
Afternoon all.

So I was out in the snow / ice the other day and long story short, I found the ABS rather unpleasant. I didn't feel as in control as I have in previously owned vehicles in similar conditions (3.0 Surf, 2.4 Hilux, 4.0 V8 Hilux, all with a similar setup tyres etc)
Now in day to day normal use, I'm sure the ABS provides an advantage. However on snow and ice I feel that I would be better off without it.
I don't want to eliminate the ABS completely, nor do I want to just pull the fuse as some google searches have suggested. I'd like to utilize an 80 series dash switch (buy one, not re-purpose an existing one, keeping the factory look) to disable the ABS for the occasional snow and ice it will see.

I am thinking that the most simple way to do this, would be to divert the one of the ABS fuse wires via a switch on the dash . I expect the ABS light to illuminate when "off" and from what I have read, I will have to turn the ignition on / off each time the switch is used to avoid upsetting the ECU.

Does any of this sound plausible? If any of you have done something similar, I'd appreciate any hints, tips or thread links

Thanks

Personally, I'd pull the fuse and go and try it again in the ice and snow before messing about wiring in a bypass. Make sure it's what you want to do before you do it.

Now I've never heard of anyone doing this, which does of course beg the question why. But never one to stand in the way of progress - just try it first.

ABS is disabled in low so there must be a feed to do this from the transfer box.... best bet would be to intercept that wire and use the switch to fool the ABS ECU into thinking you are in low range .
ABS on my Fiat Ducato van is bloody dangerous and has caused more near misses than it's saved ....one front wheel on a bit of mud and the thing refuses to stop...
Good job I know what cadence braking is and grew up driving non ABS vehicles and rally cars.

If you just want to disable in ice and snow conditions, can you install the switch for the centre diff lock, once this is engaged this disables abs

Back