Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Pyreness June - July

garygiles1963

Hi

Planning a trip to the Pyreness on the Spain side, June - July. Should I be planning for Mosqutos? Tried googling but not much info. Maybe its just not a problem. Thinking wether I should be getting a Mossi Net Tent for the nights?

Regards
Gary

Less mosquitoes higher up in the mountains. There will be more when you camp near a lake.
When I was there a few years ago in the same period, the flysheet of my rtt offered sufficient protection at night. You could take some sort of repellant, but I think a full mosquito net is a bit ott.

I don't recall there being any mosquitos when I have been in Pyrenees in June/July

Just ordered one. Bargain and could just come in handy one day. Especially in Scotland!

Take some Avon 'Skin so soft' amazing repellent for mosquito's ...

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
Big fat cigar is the only thing that really works. I use DEET and all sorts of chemicals and when they're really thick, but there's nothing really keeps them off. A little squirt here and there is a waste of time. You need to lather the stuff on. I can't see them being that bad there though.

You'll be a month ahead of us so we'll be driving in your tracks basically. We only have a short time due to A) not being able to get a ferry for the dates we're off and B) the daughter needs to be home for results. Total travel time is only 13 days. But looking at what we want to do, we should be able to get round in that time taking in a chunk of the Pyrenees (we'll call that a scouting mission) and then back up the Eastern border of France taking in some wine and cheese.

You'll be a month ahead of us so we'll be driving in your tracks basically. We only have a short time due to A) not being able to get a ferry for the dates we're off and B) the daughter needs to be home for results. Total travel time is only 13 days. But looking at what we want to do, we should be able to get round in that time taking in a chunk of the Pyrenees (we'll call that a scouting mission) and then back up the Eastern border of France taking in some wine and cheese.

HI

I'm planning the same but over a longer period. I'm planning Calais to Bilbao over 2 days. Then West to East through Pyrenees on the the Spanish side, this is the planned route, https://drive.google.com/open?id=1cUPKRlY8cP6c4YIbV8kwDWjsuFc&usp=sharing. Planned for 19-21 days, mission to visit Casa Salvador Dalí, https://www.salvador-dali.org/ca/museus/casa-salvador-dali-de-portlligat/. Then back up through France.

Plan for mozzies.we live at 650M & have a mozzy net although it's cool enough to need a summer duvet on in August with the doors & Windows of the house open.we have a simple bell type that hangs from a central point.it's great for bivvying out under a tarp or just a tree & keeps all sorts or insects out including scorpions & those hideous orange/black centipedes we get here...top tip is to bring a few clothes pegs to close off & peg it out

Plan for mozzies.we live at 650M & have a mozzy net although it's cool enough to need a summer duvet on in August with the doors & Windows of the house open.we have a simple bell type that hangs from a central point.it's great for bivvying out under a tarp or just a tree & keeps all sorts or insects out including scorpions & those hideous orange/black centipedes we get here...top tip is to bring a few clothes pegs to close off & peg it out

Thanks for the advice

Please excuse me butting into your thread but I just followed the part of your route that I have travelled and notice that you are passing through/near Tirvia. I am assuming that you want to take some trails, if so, may I suggest that from Tirvia go to Alins (L-510) and there run the Smugglers' Pass into Andorra. The start of the trail is on the left at the back of the car park. It isn't difficult but the views are spectacular.
Tirvia is also worth a drive or walk round as it was destroyed during the civil war but the Cataluna Government has had it restored to its former - pre 1936 - glory. It is one of 15 restored villages throughout the area.

Regards,
Rodger

Indeed
I mentioned the smugglers pass to Chris

But I haven't tried the route into Andorra further south, so don't know how it compares with smugglers pass

Sign me up

I have the full mozzie room for my awning so if it's bad we'll be sealed in there

Hi Gary,

That is it.
The track joins directly onto a paved road at the border, although you wouldn't know you'd crossed a border, and that will take you to Andorra La Vella. You can pick up the N145 in the town.
Your route looks very similar to the www.voyager4x4.com trans Pyrenees route and they seem to miss Smugglers' Pass.
DSCF9409.JPG

The photo is around 2/3rds the way up Smugglers' and this was in October.

Regards,

Rodger

hi

Great, Thanks so much fo spotting this and letting me know. I been trying to plan a route for months. I realized it would be easier to use someone else's route. There are some many interested places to visit in this area. I know I cant do them all.

I'll add it to my main map.

I'm very excited about this trip, looks amazing.

Many thanks.

G.

Back