Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Question about buying a Land Cruiser

mochosla

Country Flag
united_states
Hi everyone. I'm not sure this is the right place forum for this so feel free to move it to the correct place. I want to ask about a 1982 Land Cruiser my neighbor is selling me (more like I bugged her and finally convinced her to sell it to me). She has had the car since new but has been sitting in her driveway for a few years. She says the car was running but had some mechanical issues her dad was working to fix but he passed away and the car was just abandoned. The car seems to be "okay" but it has seen better days. It will probably need all the interior redone, breaks, oil change and some mechanical work although she says it starts but needs a new battery. It is a standard car, has a rack and that is about as much as I can tell you. It is a project car. My question is, how much would the car be worth? I see some similar cars in very nice shape going from 12 to 24K but as said before, this car is far from being in good shape. Any guidance would be very appreciated. Oh, she said it has back DMV fees but she will take care of that for me. Just for you to get an idea, it looks like the one in the attached picture. I will come check it out in more detail tomorrow and will take pics and probably post them here for a better reference.

Land Cruiser.jpg

Welcome along. I'll bet your " Project" truck looks nothing like that pristine example. 60's are expensive to restore in the US, even more so in the UK so I'd do your research into the costs of restoration and be sure if a 60 series is what you want. ( that said I've has numerous 60's over the years but I'm not sure I'd want to restore another).

Thank you Andy. 60 is the model car? Like an FJ40? This is an SJ60?

This is a 6o model. It may be the FJ62 if it has the gasoline engine. It may have manual or auto transmission and cable operated diff locks. Trim levels may be gx or vx. A great machine

Thank you. So far, I've only looked at it lightly. Today, I'm going to do a more detailed inspection. What should I look for to better identify engine, transmission etc.?

Thank you.

Just get the 17 digit VIN.

A Google search for a Toyota VIN decoder will tell all. The two letters in front of the 60 will tell you which engine it came stock with.

If you want more details such as axle ratios, there will be a stamped plate by the fire wall in the engine bay that has the axle codes.

Website like this will help with axle codes

http://www.off-road.com/trucks-4x4/tech/toyota-differential-identification-18588.html

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
Here are some pictures of the actual car. it has some damage in the front of the hood, the AC compressor is missing, there is a busted rear door window and it is dirty. The car has 153,000 original miles.

2017-07-23 12.27.51.jpg 2017-07-23 12.27.57.jpg 2017-07-23 12.28.11.jpg 2017-07-23 12.37.21 HDR.jpg 2017-07-23 12.38.35.jpg 2017-07-23 12.42.30.jpg 2017-07-23 12.42.57.jpg 2017-07-23 12.07.48.jpg

Well, I bought the car and is sitting in my driveway now. The car started on the second attempt and it idled fine after a while. It does not have any brakes other than the emergency brake so I have to work on that first.

The window is easy to replace with 2 bolts holding it on to the winder mechanism.

Well, I bought the car and is sitting in my driveway now. The car started on the second attempt and it idled fine after a while. It does not have any brakes other than the emergency brake so I have to work on that first.

You're a brave man for taking the plunge, respect, and welcome to the forum.

Search @oding on here "total restoration" or something similar title, he totally restored a 60 with amazing results.

Best of luck

Back